Friday, November 6, 2009



Happy Friday!

Tonight, Bruce, Geni, Travis and I went to church to decorate a table for the Women of Advent Extravaganza. It is a yearly event where many of the women of Advent and guests transform the gym into a most beautiful dining room. I have only attended this event once and I was a guest. This year I am a hostess. My family, the ever wonderful support that they are, came with me and set the table. They do not call it “Mom’s” table, they call it “our” table. This warmed my heart and endeared them to me even more. Travis even said, “This is really elegant!” (High praise from an 18 year old young man!) One of the ladies who was decorating the table next to ours asked me how I rated all of this help. I simply replied, “I am very blessed.” Thank you, Bruce, Geni and Travis.

Hebrews 2:18 “And now He can help those who are tempted, because He Himself suffered and was tempted.”

I love the book of Hebrews. This book seems to show us the humanity of Jesus and the amazing ways we can connect with Him in earthly ways and in the hope of heaven.
I must admit this week has been a bit stressful. With my paper due on Wednesday and the Extravaganza on Saturday there has been much to do. Truthfully, each event and activity has had its own set of stresses. The paper dealt with judging others who have wronged us and the Extravaganza deals with judging the table you have prepared with the other tables.

I know it is not supposed to be that way, but ladies, let’s be honest! I stressed about whether my first time effort would measure up to the far more seasoned veterans of this event. So with a set of dishes my mother gave me and a remarkably supportive family I set about to prepare a table that would be inviting and comfortable for the guests who will dine tomorrow. We did not just throw this table together tonight. It took planning, time and thoughtful preparation to get it the way I wanted it. It has taken several weeks, in fact, for pieces of the table settings to be assembled from items taken from home, items borrowed, and items purchased. I practiced putting it all together on our own table on Thursday night. I counted knives, forks and spoons to make sure I had enough of each. We ran to Wal-Mart for a sugar bowl and cream pitcher. Finally, all of the pieces were in place and we were ready to set this table.

I prayed over each piece that I placed on the table tonight. I have prayed that the guests I will greet will feel comfortable and warm at the table. I pray that they will enjoy their time and leave with a feeling of that they have glimpsed of little bit of a heavenly feast. I pray that I don’t spill anything.

Jesus prepared a table. I can only imagine the stress he must have felt. He set a table with simple bread and wine and shared it with His closest friends. Jesus knew it was time to walk the road to the cross and there was no stopping this act. He prepared the table in elements of bread and wine and the words of “This is my body given for you. This is my blood given for you.” All of the pieces were in place and He was ready to set the table. He told His disciples for the last time that He was walking the road to His death so that He could live on in them and they would continue His ministry. John 9: 5 says, “ As long as I Am in the world, I Am the light of the world.” As long as Jesus lives in each of us then Jesus lives.

So friends, let us prepare the tables of our hearts with God’s Word. Invite others to dine at the table of grace and experience a properly set table - a table set with love.

Take joy in the journey and save your fork, the best is yet to come. Love you so much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS My Mom purchased the dishes more than 30 years ago. They were purchased at the local Kroger store one place setting per week until she has a service for 16. The dishes are simple, ruby colored, clear glass. Thanks Mom! Love you !

No comments: