Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Friday!

I had the most wonderful day. Geni was supposed to have her first day of substitute teaching at Briscoe Elem. School in Fort Worth, but due to a snafu at the Administration building, she had not been cleared for teaching yet, so she came to Burton Hill and spent the day with me and my first graders. We had a day filled with pumpkin and bat activities and Geni taught most of the day. She did such a great job. I was very proud of her and it was wonderful to watch her take her first steps into the world of teaching. I was reminded of when she was quite small and she took her first steps as a baby. I remember being so proud 22 years ago and I was just a proud today. We, as parents, do not always get to see where our children land. I felt very privileged to get to witness Geni handle herself in a classroom situation.

Psalm 119: 105 “Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.”

God in His wisdom does not let us see into the distant future. God never told me at the moment of Casey’s birth that cancer would develop in his body as a young adult and we would lose our son far too soon in his life and ours. What God does do for us is give us a lamp. A lamp puts our enough light for the area in which you are working or reading. God lit our path during the last year of Casey’s life to see the steps needed for the day’s journey, and God continues to guide our steps. As Max Lucado says, “God gives us a lamp unto our feet not a crystal ball into the future.”

I would have never believed a “crystal ball” vision that said that Geni would desire to become a teacher. But I can see the lamplight that is directing her path and today I was honored to be part of the light and be witness to where that light is leading her.

Friends, every morning I pray for God to meet our daily needs. God’s Word is the lamp unto our feet on which we can count. God tells us not to worry about what tomorrow may bring for tomorrow will take care of itself. All we have is today and the faithful lamplight of a loving Father. God’s faithfulness to us is always greater than our faithfulness to Him. So friends, stand in the light of the lamp of God and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Take joy in the journey, one step at a time. Wear a sweater and root for the TCU Frogs. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: