Saturday, September 12, 2009

Happy Saturday!

2 Corinthians 3:18 “Our faces, then, are not covered. We all show the Lord’s glory and we are being changed to be like Him.”

When Moses went on the mountaintop (according to Cecil B. DeMille) to receive his marching orders from God, he hid his face and did not see the glory of God in the burning bush. When Peter, James and John went with Jesus to the mountaintop and Jesus was transfigured before their very eyes, they were not asked to cover their faces or hide. They were allowed to see the glory of God in the face of their friend and teacher, Jesus Christ. I am sure they were completely surprised by this phenomenal event. Peter recognized this as an opportunity to worship and wanted to make three altars to Jesus. Peter had already figured out that Jesus was the Messiah, but now he has come face to face with the Father, Himself. Peter has now had an encounter with God, face to face and was not asked to cover his face or remove his sandals or anything. Peter, James and John were welcomed, invited to worship Christ. I don’t know how long this time of worship lasted, but it was long enough to that they saw Jesus face shining like the sun. Jesus went to the top of the mountain to worship His Father. His face changed as He worshipped God.

Our faces are the most exposed parts of our bodies. Our faces show the range of our emotions. When we are in the worship service, how do we look? Can the pastor tell if the message is reaching us by the expressions on our faces? How does the music affect us? Do our faces show any emotion as we are singing God’s praises or singing about sorrow and pain or singing about God and His tender mercies? But more than that, do our faces reflect the goodness of our God and the countless blessings we have received?

I love worship. In worship I hear the Word read and preached. In worship I get to sing of the Lord’s goodness, His tender mercies and of my love for Him and His love for me. In worship I am not asked to hide my face even in prayer. I seem to pray with my face turned upward and holding the hand of someone next to me. I hope my face reflects the presence of God.

God sent Jesus so that we could encounter Him face to face; not turned away, not in shame, but in love. Let us worship God in spirit, truth and open ourselves and see Him face to face.

See you in church! Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: