Friday, August 28, 2009

(Note: this email did not make it to its destination last night, so is being posted Friday.)

Happy Thursday!!

School is going well. The students in my class are really sweet and so far they are very eager to learn and seem to come each day prepared for their lessons. Bruce arrived home safely around 1:30 am exhausted, but full in the knowledge that he has fulfilled to the best of his ability the job set before him. Geni began school today and all is going pretty well.

Deuteronomy 4:1 “Give heed to the statutes and ordinances that I am teaching you to observe, so that you may live.”

The first unit in Social Studies we study in first grade concerns rules. We discuss how rules come about and the reasons for having rules. My class decided that rules are developed for two reasons: 1) To help us, and 2) To keep us safe. We went over our classroom rules and made sure that all of our classroom rules would either help us or keep us safe.

Jesus asks us to follow very few rules. He asks us to love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind and all our strength and to love our neighbor as our self.” No other law goes above this one rule. God gave us this law so that we might live with one another in holiness and with the lordship of Christ dwelling among us. If we do not follow this law then we fall short of the glory of God and cannot carry out His commandments and live together as He would have us.

In my classroom the first rule is Follow directions. Perhaps if we follow the directions set out in the Great Commandment then the remaining rules in our lives will be far easier to keep.

Take joy in your journey, my friends and carry an umbrella. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: