Monday, August 24, 2009

Happy Monday!

The first day of school has come and gone. It was a very exciting morning. Our Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Melody Johnson, visited our newly refurbished campus. ABC World News was on our campus with their huge cameras, microphones, reporters and interviewers everywhere. A camera man and reporter came into my room and videotaped the children and activities going on in Room 6. One of my team members was interviewed and was supposed to be seen on the news tonight.

I have been given 17 (so far) lovely children and two TCU students with which to begin my year. The first day was really quite good and we got a lot of things done.

Travis began his college career today. He has a good day of classes and is looking forward to classes tomorrow. His desk and computer look so great in his room. Bruce bought him a lamp and a trash can. He is ready to roll!!

John 6: 60 “This teaching is difficult; who can accept it.”

What an interesting scripture to receive today. I spent the first day of school trying to convince 17 six-year-olds that they are no longer kindergartners. I must admit that there were those who were somewhat resistant to these teachings. Some of the children were ready to step into the role of first grade and others were not quite ready. The lessons of stay in your seat, listen and raise your hand to speak were new to some of the students. But the most difficult lesson of all today was to write your name on your paper. Even after giving instructions I walked around the room and reminded several of the children to write their names. I will teach this lesson again and again until they remember to write their name on their paper.

I think that this same principle applies to reading the Word and our conversations with God. There are times when we read the Word and don’t like what it tells us.

The times we don’t like the Word, are when it tells us to do something we don’t want to do. Maybe we want something and God says, “No” or “not yet.” God says, “Forgive them…” God says, “Love them…” And we really don’t want to do these things. So what does God do? God continues to teach us these lessons until we finally get it.

God repeats the instructions until we remember to forgive, practice self-control and love no matter what. Maybe when it comes to accepting God’s Word for our lives we are all just big First Graders. Maybe that is why I have been teaching first grade for so many years!

I am really glad God is not as tired as I am at this writing. I know I am exhausted from repeating the instructions to my first graders so many times.

Take joy in the journey and follow directions the first time. It makes things a whole lot easier. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: