Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Friday! And Happy 4th of July Eve!

We can stand in our front yard and hear the concert from the Levitt Music Pavilion several blocks away while seeing and hearing fireworks from somewhere. Geni is out with friends and Travis is camping with friends from school. Bruce is laying a beautiful tile floor in the kitchen in preparation for our Independence Day Celebration. The praise team from our church and some others will be gathering tomorrow evening for a backyard barbeque and later on finding some fireworks.

John 14: 5 {Thomas said to Jesus,} “How can we know the way?”

I have spent some concentrated time this week reading, viewing, listening and taking notes on how to smoke a brisket in a wood/charcoal smoker. I think I have it just about figured out and am ready to take the plunge and smoke the brisket. I have assembled all of the materials I need to take on this adventure in cooking. The only thing I do not know how to do is how to build a fire. I have never built a fire using wood before. I have a load of pecan wood and I have Bruce. He has camped for at least thirty years and knows how to build a fire. We will be a two person team as I learn from him how to build a fire and maintain the heat. The two words I have learned are “low and slow.” I am going to take on this endeavor on Tuesday. Say a prayer and wish me luck. I do not anticipate this first attempt to be perfect, but I am going to do my best. I know my family will be appreciative of my efforts and we will hope the final product is edible. Bruce and the kids will most likely give their opinions of the finished product, but I do not anticipate them being unkind in their comments or hurtful as they express their opinions.

Thomas. Bless his heart. He was saddled with the title, “doubting Thomas.” I am not sure that that title is appropriate. As a teacher, I have learned that individual children learn differently. Some learn by listening and get the concept I am teaching the first time through. Some children learn best through reading. Some children have to work it through with trial and error. A good teacher recognizes each child’s strongest learning style and plans lessons that include all of the different learning styles so that each student will be successful in their learning. I think Thomas was a listener, but he was also one who needed to ask questions for clarification. I don’t think that should label him a doubter. If that would label him a doubter, then I guess I should be called a doubter also. I am someone who asks a lot of questions. When I don’t understand, I ask questions until I have enough knowledge base to be satisfied.

When Thomas asked this question (“How can we know the way?”), Jesus very simply answered with “I Am the Way, The Truth and the Life.” He did not scold Thomas for asking a question. Jesus did not label him doubter or elbow another disciple and say, “Did you hear that question? How can he so doubting?” No, Jesus simply looked at Thomas as any good teacher does and answers his question. Jesus treated Thomas with respect, kindness and honesty. Thomas may have also been honest enough to ask the question that others felt too embarrassed to ask.

I believe God invites our questions. I also believe He inspired the document that we can go to for answers. When I have questions of a spiritual nature, I seek out the Word, I ask Bruce or I ask my pastor. I continue to ask until I am satisfied. But first I go to God in prayer and ask for help in answering the questions I have. God has never turned down this inquiring woman. The best part about seeking out in our questions is that not only do we find the answers we seek, we find the One who loves us most there with the answers. Take joy in the journey and stay cool.

Love you all so much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Casey did his senior theme on Texas barbeque. As part of his final presentation in his English class he took the grilled chicken I taught him to make. He loved to cook especially on the grill. Last year when he got out of the hospital he wanted to go to Wal-Mart. He purchased the grill that sits out on our deck. (And these silly tiki torches) Each time I light the grill I think of Casey and the joy he took in making this purchase and presenting it to us. When I at times grill in the dark I light those silly tiki torches and look up at the sky and ask Casey if he can see us from heaven. I cry for a while and then I laugh. So tomorrow the hot dogs and burgers will be grilled on the grill that was a gift from Casey. Right now I miss him so much I can hardly express it. And tomorrow I will ask God if He could just open up heaven just a bit and let Casey look down at the joy this grill is bringing once again. Thank you, son.

No comments: