Sunday, June 28, 2009

Blessed Sunday to you all! I pray your time in worship was a blessing and a great beginning to the new week ahead. I can’t believe June will be over in just a couple of days. That leaves only about six or seven more weeks before school begins again. OMG!!

Mark 5: 28 For she said, “If I but touch His clothes, I will be made well.”

Wow! This was one brave woman. This woman was an outcast due to her health condition. She could not live with others because she was labeled “unclean.” When she was in the midst of the crowd (probably disguised somewhat) she touched the hem of Jesus tunic. Jesus felt the power go out of Him and she was healed.

Our pastor spoke on this passage today. Pastor Joel spoke about interruptions in our lives. Jesus was walking along preaching and teaching and then He felt the power go out of Him. Jesus was interrupted by a woman who touched His tunic in the midst of a crown of people. Now two things happened here. Jesus stopped His teaching to go and find this one who caused the power to leave Him. And two, when this woman who was labeled “unclean” touched Jesus, according to Hebrew law, He too became unclean. (I’ll bet the Pharisees who were in the crowd were taking notes on this flagrant breaking of Hebrew law!) And yet, Jesus stopped what He was doing to go and find this woman and minister to her. The consequences of her actions could have been really devastating. She risked further isolation, continued health problems and punishment for rendering another unclean. This was a woman who reached out in faith to Jesus. Her faith and need was so strong that Jesus felt the power of His healing leave Him and be received into this one who was so desperately in need of healing.

Jesus led a life of interruptions. His ministry was carried out in meeting the needs of individuals as they sought out Jesus. His profession was as itinerant preacher and teacher, but His ministry was with the individuals in whom He had relationships.

How many times have we been working really hard on something and then something interrupts what we are doing? What is more important - the task on which we are working or the interruption at hand? I think of times when the caller Id. on my phone tells me someone’s name and I choose not to answer because it will interrupt what I am doing. Is what I am doing more important than the one who is trying to reach me? I am so very grateful that God does not put me on hold or say, “Wait a minute, I am dealing with something else right now. Could you call back?’

I have always believed that worship uplifts the community, but ministry furthers the Kingdom. And the Kingdom is built one precious soul at a time. Let us as disciples reach out to those who are outcast and in need of a kind word and a healing touch. After all, Jesus did and still does that for us.

Take joy in the journey and keep cool. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: