Sunday, July 5, 2009

Blessed Sunday! It was a quiet day here on Austin St. We needed a quiet day after our very festive 4th of July celebration. We had 30 + people and four dogs here for the evening. It was so wonderful. We began the evening with the singing of the doxology. I am sure the angels in heaven stopped choir practice to hear the voices raised in song from our backyard. We used 8 tiki torches and two citronella candles to fend off the bugs. We went through 210 pounds of ice to cool down drinks and make three freezers of ice cream. We had wonderful food and great fellowship.

There were three distinct groups in attendance; one group on the deck and in the back yard, another group in the dining room chatting and another group in the living room watching movies. The funniest part of the evening was watching little Levi, Pastor Marc Hander and Jerilyn’s toddler, go in and out of the house through the doggie door and Levi telling Lamar, our basset, to “knock it off” when he and Lamar got nose to nose and Lamar barked at him. Too cute and hilariously funny! At one time I had burgers, hot dogs, brats and chicken all cooking on the grill at the same time. To say that a great time was had by all does not cover it. Then several of us went to the Wal-Mart parking lot and watched the fireworks from The Ballpark. What a great day spent with friends and family. It is my favorite way to spend a day!

Psalm 79:13 “We are Your people, the sheep of Your flock.”

When Jesus compares us to sheep He knew just what He was talking about. One sheep is a lost sheep. They have no sense of direction, they are unprotected, they have no defensive skills and they are not very smart. Sheep get into trouble and do not know how to get themselves out of trouble. Sheep must have a shepherd with a loud clear voice to guide them and sheep must stick together.

Today in worship I was the assisting minister. My responsibilities are to lead the congregational prayers, assist with communion, read a closing prayer following communion and send the congregation with their charge for the week; “Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.” Just prior to leading the congregation in prayers, I ask the congregation to join hands as the “family of God, the body of Christ.” When we pray at home whether it is at the table for grace or as a family at other times we always join hands. I think the joining of hands adds to the power of the group that is praying. The power of a praying church is phenomenal.

When we pray together as a family unit in our homes or in our sanctuaries we are bound together by the love of God, love of family and love of the family of God. The simple touch of one hand to another draws us closer to God and to those with whom we are praying. When my prayer/Bible Study group meets each week we list our prayer concerns in a book. When we pray together at the end of the study time we all join hands around the prayer book and pray for those needs and joys listed. This simple act of the human touch becomes a very spiritual connection that joins us together as one as we lift one another up in prayer.

Do I pray in groups all the time? No. During my morning drive I pray alone most of the time. But if I have something really on my heart I call Bruce and ask him to pray for this need or we pray together over the phone. There is enormous power in group prayer even if the group has only two pray-ers who are agreeing in prayer.

We are the family of God and the sheep of His pasture. God expects us to share our joys, sorrows, trials and triumphs with each other. God expects us to stick together so that no one is left alone and unprotected. So friends, find a prayer partner. Join a prayer group. Pray with your family. Grab a hand and say a prayer.

Take joy in the journey and stay in the shade. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Bruce got the kitchen floor laid in the nick of time and it is beautiful! Thanks, darlin’.

No comments: