Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Monday! Tonight’s entry is inspired by several friends who are experiencing great trials in their lives. I pray this will help anyone who is going through a tough time right now. After all everyone is going through some kind of battle.

1 Peter 4:12 “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you…But rejoice, in as much as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings.”

Have you ever thought “Why am I going through this? I did not ask for it and I do not deserve it and this situation is really awful!” Let’s face it. Times can be really hard. How many of us or our friends are going through a tough time? As I learned while at MD Anderson, “everyone is fighting some kind of battle.” Today’s battles are loss of jobs and income, companies are closing, families are having to uproot and move to other places, some families are having to move in with other members of their own families or friends, personal health issues or health problems of family members and friends. The list could go on forever. I think a lot of the time the stress is on the “what might or could happen” is greater than the actual battle itself. The unknown is the toughest battle of all.

May I just share with you that help and peace and joy are here and any courage we display God will reward. Battles are not pleasant and sometimes they are downright painful. I have often heard the phrase “there is a reason for everything”, but I am not sure I totally agree with that statement. Stuff happens! Whether we invite the trial or the trial is thrust upon us the end result is still the same. How we handle the trial is really the battle. But God takes our trials and leads us through them if we but surrender the trial over to Him and allow Him to teach us and to “tenderly prepare” us for the work He wishes us to do through the trial and beyond.

There may be quick fixes out there, but the most a quick fix might be is a Band-Aid. A Band-Aid does not really fix anything. It just covers up the hurt and protects it a bit, but does no real healing. The only healing that is permanent is the healing that God can provide. God provides healing through His Word, through listening and answering our prayers, through His children helping each other by praying together, listening to each other and being the “God with skin on” that we all need at one time or another.

Whatever trials you are experiencing surrender them over to God. Remember His faithfulness to each of us has always been more than our faithfulness to Him. Recognize how much God loves each of us and allow His loving, compassionate heart and tender mercies to immerse us in His grace. When we do this, the peace, the joy and the help we are seeking will be ours. The old song says, “take it to the Lord in prayer.”

Take joy in the journey and stay in the shade. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: