Sunday, June 7, 2009

Blessed Sunday! The deck is amazing. Bruce and Al finished around 3:30 am. They both said they never really got tired or sleepy the whole time. I prayed for them most of the night.

There was a great deal of activity that went on as all four of us put the finishing touches on the celebration. Geni and Travis set up the tables and chairs placed the cloths and center pieces. Bruce made the dirt look prettier. (One of the summer projects is to figure out how to afford to grow grass in our shady backyard.) God blessed me with a spirit of peace and calmness as the time drew very near for our guests to arrive and things were not quite ready (I secretly prayed for them to be just a bit late.), but it was okay our guests were just as happy to drink coffee, and snack on coffee cake while I got the eggs and hash browns ready. I could have totally stressed, but I did not. God was in control of this day. When I allowed God to be in control the peace and calmness I so needed was given as a wonderful gift. God was present in our time of family fun and fellowship. Where the love of God is, Satan cannot invade. Praise God!

The day was a day of blessings for our family. I think by the time everyone left we had 21 guests for the brunch including my Aunt Wanda’s puppy. Lamar and Jackson were very well mannered with this little dog. I was very proud of them.

Other than a toilet overflowing the party was just wonderful. I have the most wonderful family and they loved the party. Just in case you want to know the menu…we had a scrambled egg bar which was served in disposable martini glasses (I scrambled eggs on the grill and laid out all sorts of toppings), hash browns, blueberry muffins, coffee cake, lemon bars, granola cereal, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, coffee, juice and milk. There was lots of talking, laughing, eating and wonderful family fellowship. It was a wonderful day. God blessed us richly with our family with our love for each other because He loved us first.

John 16:33 “In this world you will have trouble, but be brave! I have defeated the world.”

Up until recently I have never invited people to our home. We had not been good at taking care of things around the house and I did not want people to walk into chaos. So today was such a miracle for me. I have waited for this day for such a long time. Today God was victorious over Satan. There were many opportunities for me to be upset because of the things that did not get done. But instead I rejoiced in the wonderful things that were accomplished.

The summer is before us and I have plans to continue home improvements both inside and out. I am sure Satan will rear his ugly head and try with all his might to keep me from the path of obedience to which I believe God has placed before me for the next couple of months.

I know that a lot of this is part of my grieving process from losing Casey. I missed him so much today. Casey never missed a family event if he could help it. He loved being with his family so very much. I don’t know if God allows the citizens of heaven to catch a glimpse of earth after they have ascended to the Kingdom of Love, but I would love to know that Casey got to see his family gathered to honor his brother of who he was always so proud.

So, I give thanks for our home and pray that as I clean out, throw away, improve and rearrange that my heart will begin to heal and that I will keep in the forefront of my thinking that which I do, I do to the glory of God and through His strength and His joy. Come by for a visit.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

2 comments:

Al Rearick said...

The celebration truly was wonderful! The scrambled eggs... yum! Cyndy sends her regrets: after church was a meeting that didn't get out until 1:00 and she wasn't feeling good. I was relatively pain-free yesterday, but I feel REAALLLY old today! ;-)

Once again, thank you for being a blessing in the lives of my family and for including us in your family this weekend!

Love,
Al

Sharon said...

Gaylene,

I have never left a comment here, but I read your blogs every morning as a part of my getting my day started. Thank you for blessing us with your ministry of devotions!

The reason that I decided to make a comment today is that you have mentioned several times that you wonder whether God lets those in heaven get a glimpse of what's happening here on earth. I believe that He does. I lost my dad to lung cancer when I was just 3-1/2 yrs. old & my sister was just 14 mos. old. I feel that he has been able to watch me grow, marry & have children. Even when I have had near-misses when driving, I feel that he is my guardian angel, taking care of me from above. I may be wrong, but I this has helped me throughout the years.

May you have a blessed & relaxing summer!
God's Blessings,
Sharon