Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Wednesday! I began my day with a parent conference and progressed on with the day’s activities which included celebrating the 100th day of school. That is always fun. Then we had Choir practice tonight. I love choir rehearsal. It is a great break from the work week and a place where even during rehearsal I can get lost in the songs and sing before the Lord. I had a really rough day at school with one of my students and singing praise songs to God is a wonderful balm to my stressed soul.

Psalm 23:: 3 says, “He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths bringing honor to His name.”

As most of you know, I am a first grade teacher. This year I have a particularly difficult student who causes problems in the classroom daily. Today this student lost a great deal of self-control. Many of this student’s actions are behaviors that I will not tolerate either in my own home or my classroom. By lunchtime I was stressed to the max and in need of a “time out.” Since I don’t drink, smoke or chew I found myself back in the classroom while the children were at lunch just standing in the middle of the classroom taking deep breaths and trying to figure out my next strategy to help this child get their act together. I began to pray and before long I was not so stressed and ready to face the afternoon and hope that lunch and recess would help calm down this child and we could have a peaceful afternoon. Peace was not the order of the day and the child had to spend the day with my principal. I felt bad that my principal, for whom I have the highest respect, had to take this child so that I could teach the rest of the children for the remainder of the day. When 3:15 came today I was very ready to leave school.

Then it was time for choir practice. One of the pieces we practiced tonight was “Thank You for the Valleys.” It speaks of the valleys in our lives and how they are the place to grow. The piece also affirms that in the valley God is with us and leads us and provides with peace. Peace is found in the valley. The struggle is climbing out of the valley. The lessons learned in the valley and the wisdom God gives us while walking calmly with Him in the valley gives us the plan and the path out of the valley. As much as we wish to leave the valleys of our lives, it is the place to learn the lessons to reach the mountain top.

I read somewhere once that nobody starts at the finish line. Well, the same is true for the Christian life. We must start at the lowest place; at the foot of the cross to land at the highest place; at the feet of the Father. The coolest part is that God promises to be with us each step of the way. The path may not be smooth, but it will always be right. So tomorrow, with my strength renewed, I will continue the journey once again. I will surrender my will and plans over to the will of God and in teaching the children and interacting with my co-workers and parents, I pray that I will bring honor to His name.

Take joy in the journey friends. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Carme Russell update: one of the drains has been removed, PTL!! And she has begun short walks to the mailbox with her mom and brief outings. She tires easily, but she is very determined. We ask your continued prayers for her recovery. Thanks!

No comments: