Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Happy Tuesday! It was a dark and stormy night…okay I have made it to the gym to walk or work on the elliptical for the last 4 days. I made it before the storm came. I am just glad the storm seemed to be short lived.

Philippians 3:13 says, “No, dear brothers, I am still not all I should be but I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing. Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.”

When I read this the first thing that popped into my thoughts was “God is not finished with me yet.” I am 53 years old and anticipating retiring from teaching in 2 years so I can complete my Masters of Divinity degree at Brite Seminary and set out on a second career as a hospital chaplain somewhere. I don’t think I will ever forget my nearly 30 years of teaching experience, but I do believe God is calling me away from the profession of classroom teacher and setting me on a new path. Recently I have been thrust into the lives of people who were in need of a chaplain. I have gotten practical experience before I have the actual authority to do the job. I know however, that I am not ready to become a hospital chaplain.”I am not all I should be…” I do not have the knowledge that seminary will provide…yet - but someday I will. I am looking forward to “what lies ahead.” I am sure I will miss teaching, but I am looking forward to the time when I am a full - time student and truly on the path I believe God has laid out for me.

When Casey was diagnosed with cancer it became very apparent that even though his time on earth was not to be very long, God was not finished with him either. God still had a plan for Casey and a mission for him to accomplish before he went to live with God forever. Casey could have shut himself down and lived a life of self-pity and faithless bitterness, but he did just the opposite. Casey opened himself up to whatever God placed before him. Casey became a mighty prayer warrior and an inspired servant for God and the furthering of the kingdom of God while here on earth. Within the last two weeks of his life, he spent a weekend serving on a Kairos Prison Ministry. He sacrificed his last energies in the service of Christ. God was not finished with him.

How old are you? Is God finished with you? Are you willing to let God continue to grow you into his likeness no matter your age, or vocation? A phrase from Bruce’s BSF comes to mind: God doesn’t look for ability, He looks for availability. Do you make yourself available God? Are you looking forward to what lies ahead and if so, are you looking forward to the future God has planned for you with fear and uncertainty or with trusting excitement? Are you ready to take joy in the journey?

Let’s walk this journey together and see what God has in store for us. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Lord, I hope I see y'all tonight. So much I want to talk about with you inspired by today's devotion.

Love,
Al