Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Saturday!! Bruce went to a Kairos Advisory Council meeting in Iowa Park today and I went back to the gym for the first time in months. With DVD player and Viva Las Vegas loaded in the player, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. I am a bit sore, but glad I went and am planning to go back on a regular basis.

Matthew 24: 13 says, “These people who keep their faith until the end will be saved.”
Okay, I am at times a creature of habit. At 53 there are some things about me on which you can count. One of those things is (most of the time) parking spaces. When I go to Wal-Mart I park directly on the aisle in front of the door. At the mall I park directly down the row from Barnes and Nobel. If Bruce or the kids are looking for my car they could find it because they know where I usually park. However, if I go somewhere else then I have to find a new place to park. The last time I went to the mall and went to J.C. Penny’s, I parked in the back of the mall. I went into the store and came out later and could not remember where I parked. So now I am walking to where I thought I left it and I am beginning to panic and feel really dumb. So after walking around, cold, frustrated, a little nervous and almost ready to cry, I stopped. I took several deep breaths and just looked around the parking lot. After calming down, focusing on the problem and looking carefully for my car I located it a couple of rows away from where I was standing.

How many times have I been in a situation that caused panic in my heart? And instead of stopping to ask God to take control of the situation and guide me home I have run around the parking lot in my life without focus and in a panic. It is in times like this that I need to stop and surrender myself and the situation over to God and ask Him to lead me to my destination.

In the journey of surrender I go to God’s Word and seek understanding through the scripture and then pray for God to guide me and try as best I can to be faithfully and trustingly obedient to the direction in which He is leading. The journey of surrender is one I walk each day. The journey is not always easy, but if I let God lead and I follow then it is always right.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all and see you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS The first staff meeting for the upcoming Happening Weekend is tomorrow. The weekend will be held at Advent Lutheran Church. If you have young people in your congregations, friends, your own children or relatives ages 15-18 that would be interested in a spiritual weekend with other young people then let me know and I can get you an application. Travis is the Rector (youth leader) of the weekend.

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Well, Gaylene, if it makes you feel better, you're not alone in the parking lot. I'm surprised we haven't run into each other more often, but then maybe that's what life is and why we continue to run into each other (especially at church). So, not only can we take joy in the journey because there are others out there as lost as we are, but that we're walking the journey together.

Also, I find that putting a bobble-head on your antenna makes it a little easier to find your vehicle! :)

Love,
Al