Saturday, November 22, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Saturday!  All is well here at 811 and we are warm and dry at the end of this wet and chilly day. It was my joy this evening to preside over worship and Eucharist at the Via De Cristo supper and instructional evening.  It was great to see everyone and a joy to worship with them once again. And finally…Happy birthday to Dr. Ken Helvey PhD.  This is my dear brother.  I love this man dearly and look forward to seeing him on Thursday!

The candle is lit…
  
Dear God, thank you for the promise of your constant love and the hope it brings to my life. As I continue to walk a life in grace help me to remember to pray for those it is difficult for whom to pray and to find a place of thanksgiving in situations that seem void of any thanksgiving at all. Tonight I lift to you the family of Sandy Brandon. Her family has experienced a tragic loss this week and are in great need of your love surrounding them and the comfort and peace that only You can provide. I pray that the friendship of others will cover them in love and kindness as they walk this sad and tragic road. May they come to see and feel the warmth and light of your love and the hope of a brighter day.  I love you Lord and I love sweet Sandy. Thank you Lord for being with them. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Most of us have walked through this life and at some time or other been betrayed, lost a friendship, had a broken relationship, experienced a failed relationship or lost a loved one in death. All of these occurrences have one thing in common; the result is a broken heart.  Each of these times in our lives have left us at least for a while thinking that we will never be whole again.  We may even become angry at God and ask God or ourselves “Why did God let this happen?”  When I visit with folks in a pastoral care relationship I get this question a lot. My usual answer is that it was not God that allowed this to happen, but life happens. Sometimes we bring life on ourselves in the choices we make and sometimes life is thrust on us in devastating ways.  I also get this question, “Does God still love me even after the choices I have made or because of all of this tragedy I did nothing to incur?” 

The answer is God always  loves you eternally, completely and unconditionally. God is far bigger than our choices, our pain, our doubts and failures. God’s love is not a love that condemns.  Listen again…God’s love does not condemn.”  God’s love meets us where we are and does not look back. God’s love calls us forward into forgiveness of the one(s) who have hurt us and most importantly to forgive ourselves. The love of God is “consistent and predictable.”  Because  the perfect love of God surrounds us in grace and truth and assures us with hope.  This is the hope that will allow us to love again, trust again, healing our broken hearts and gives us the courage to offer our hearts to love once again. God is good and love wins!!

“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
Psalm 34: 18
“My flesh and my heart fail :  but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.”
Psalm 73: 26

Take joy in the journey praising, praying, laughing and encouraging others as you go.  Pray for Sandy’s family and they work through this most difficult time and try to find ways to be thankful as we are in the season of Thanksgiving. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: