Monday, August 11, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Monday!  All is busy here at 811. Bruce and Geni have cleared the middle bedroom and began the arduous task of the floor.  When we moved into this house each floor was covered in carpet. We have replaced all of the carpet with laminate flooring except this room. The middle bedroom had horrible carpet that had been glued over a hardwood floor that had also been partially tiled. Bruce and Geni spent most of the afternoon taking up tile. Bruce is working on this as we speak. And…tomorrow the new stove is being delivered. So 811 is abuzz with activity. Please pray for Bruce and Geni as they skillfully work to prepare this room. 

The candle is lit…

Dear God, I am so glad you are present with me tonight. Thank you for equipping me with everything I needed to deal with all I have encountered to day. You are truly wonderful. Lead me Lord, so I can help accomplish your will in the world.  Thank you Lord for family and the skills you have given them.  Thank you for the self-sacrifice they offer when one of us needs help.  And tonight Lord, I pray you received into heaven your child Robin Williams. I do not know if he was a person of faith,but I know he brought a great deal of joy and laughter to the world.  I know he was still you child as we all are. Lord, help each of us to share You with others so that they come to know you and know that they are never alone.  I love you Lord, in Jesus’ name, amen.

I was a mother of school age children for a long time. Each night before bed I tried to make sure backpacks were packed and by the door, clothing was picked out (I loved the junior high years when they wore uniforms!) and homework was complete.  I must admit I still practice some of those same preparations each night myself. I still lay out clothes the night before.  When the kids were in school and when I was teaching I knew generally what was going to go on the next day and had all supplies, plans lunches ready so that we were at least prepared for a successful day.

One of the ways we can prepare for the next day and whatever it holds; struggles, conflicts, surprises a other unexpected events is to end our day with God. When we end our day with God through prayer and meditation we are better prepared to deal with the unforeseen events and will be able to handle theme with strength, wisdom and creativity. This time with God at the end of the day can also help us sleep better.  It is a time to empty our troubles to Jesus and leave them there clearing our minds for a good night’s rest. My dear friends, we need to remember that all our battles belong to God. Each night just before Bruce and I put head to pillow we share a brief meditation. It is a simple scripture and a couple of paragraphs designed to end the day. It takes less than 5 minutes.  It is a moment we enjoy each night.  So prepare for the next day by spending time with God each night and see if the next day is a bit more peaceful in His presence.

“O, Lord, the God of my salvation…at night I am in Your presence.
Psalm 88: 1
“Lord, you are the God who saves me. I cry out to you day and night. Receive my prayer, and listen to my cry.”
Psalm 88: 1-2
Take joy in the journey praying as you go day and night. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Love you all Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: