Monday, July 7, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Monday!  All is well here at 811.

Dear God, Mighty God, help me to cling to you joyfully in your presence. I love continuing to know you intimately.  Thank you for meeting me where I am and reminding me of your presence. Thank you that I find your presence in scripture. And Lord that you that everytime I look at the Cross I am reminded of how much you love me. This symbol of the cross in its simple pieces always points to you. Tonight as I wept bittersweet tears of joy and loss You were there.  Lord, even if you are quiet, You are always there and I am grateful. Also, Lord, tonight I lift up my friend Allison.  She is in a great deal of pain from surgery and now a new problem has arisen. Lord, let this prayer be joined with the prayers of others for her healing and for her pain to cease. Be with her family as they support and help her and may her body be strong enough to be healed and withstand this new issue. I love you Lord, in Jesus’ name, amen.

We have been planning this trip to Alaska for almost two months. All that is left now is to pack and get on the plane.  Tonight after dinner as I was thinking of any last minute things that might need to be done (I tend to over-think or over-plan sometimes) I was struck as to the road that has led us to be able to do this. The road is marked with life changing illness for both of us, hard work on a degree, going back to work and the plans for my vocational future placed on hold once again. 

My meditation tonight talks about the ivy that climbs on the sides of buildings or homes. The ivy is strong and grips the surface of the building so tightly that only the most determined effort can dislodge it the vines.  Ivy is one of those plants that is really hard to kill. It is able to weather the extremes of heat and cold without withering and falling off the surface on which it is climbing. 

What a great example of hope and faith is the ivy. When we place our hope in God we cling to Him in the same way ivy clings to the walls. “When the sun is warm and the rain is gentle, you grow strong and hearty, reaching and moving as you strengthen your grip on God’s never –failing love. And when the winds blow strong and rain beats at you, you know that you can hang on. You cannot be moved.”  Bruce and I have been through a lot gale force winds and beating rain this year. And the presence of God has never failed. We have been the ivy that has found itself clinging to this God is never-ending love.   The presence of God never moves whether we are in sunshine or rain. When we cling to God help and hope is always at hand. 
“As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.”
Psalm 71: 14
Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God.”
Psalm 146: 5
Take joy in the journey assured of the hope that God is ever present.  Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and remember that God’s never-failing love for us is only a prayer away.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene


No comments: