Thursday, July 3, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Thursday!  All is well here at 811.  34 treatments completed. 0 to go!  It is finished. The parting words of the staff to me today before the hugs and goodbyes were that the radiation would remain in my body for about two weeks and I needed to use a daily moisturizer and good sunscreen if I wear round necked or v-necked shirts and blouses when going outside. The skin will be very sensitive to the sun’s rays for quite some time to come. Full healing from surgery and radiation will take up to a year.  The staff at the Arlington Cancer Center , while being masterful in their skills, are also compassionate and caring care givers. They realize the vulnerability of each patient. They greet each patient with a cheerful smile and a wonderful attitude.  While I will not miss the daily treatment and the effects of radiation I most assuredly miss those sweet folks. Daily interaction with them has created relationships that are family like. I give thanks for their expert skills, their kind and gracious care and the new found friendships.  Bruce and I give thanks to each of you for your words of encouragement and constant prayers. God inhabits and prayers and praises of His people. We have been recipients of great love. Thank you.

Dear God, you lift my burdens with your love. Thank you for helping me so much. Lord, I have learned to love you more through seeing the love you have placed in others. I have learned to trust you no matter what the circumstances. I give thanks for your storehouse of abundance and willingness to help when we ask.  Savior I pray your will to be accomplished as Bruce and I heal and that you will use us to help others. You are so wonderful Lord and I love you so much. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Bruce and I have carried a couple of pretty tough burdens this year. But we did not carry them alone. God has lifted us in His everlasting arms and has carried most of the burden on himself. While Bruce and I fought disease through rehab, surgery and therapy God took care of other things so that we could concentrate on healing. Many of those helps came in the form of meals prepared by others and brought lovingly to our home. We received cards of encouragement, countless prayers from friends and family.  There were those who helped and supported by going with each of us to doctor’s appointments. These are the ways God puts His loving arms underneath us and carries us. So from Bruce and I here at 811 we give thanks to God for continuing to restore us to good health.  We give thanks that when we have felt heavy-laden and overburdened that God picked us up in His everlasting arms through the love of His people. No matter what our circumstances we did not go through this time alone.

My prayer for each of you is to remember that when you seek God for help rejoice and believe that God will help you. God is good and love wins.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]
Matthew 11: 28
“Return, O my soul, to your rest, for the LORD has dealt beautifully with you.” (Amen!)
Psalm 116: 7

Take joy in the journey and tonight I give thanks that the journey continues. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and give thanks with a grateful heart.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene


No comments: