Tuesday, June 17, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Tuesday!  All is well here at 811.  22 treatments down and 12 to go.  Just saying…Aloe Vera with lidocaine and the therapeutic lavender oil are miracle drugs!!! While I have grown to love those who see to my care each day and the dear people whom I have conversation each morning in the waiting room as we are all waiting for radiation for different types of cancer, I am ready for this to be over. 

Dear God, I am trusting in your power to see me through to the end of radiation and the healing to follow.  Thank you that this is so your power and glory will be shown. Thank your for being there in each treatment and touching my heart with the kindness of those who care for me each day. Bless Bruce for being so sensitive when I get emotional.  Help me to open my life up to others and share my experiences of how you have been so present every step of the way in this journey. Lord, may your glory be seen in all of the experiences I have and shine for all of those you place in my path.  I love you so much Lord. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Back when this journey first began we met with Doc Adams, the oncologist. After sharing the extensive history of cancer in my family he talked briefly about the genetic test that could detect the cancer gene in me. After saying something like, “Don’t you think it is a bit late for that?” and telling him that this disease has not missed a generation in my family in at least four generations. I told him I could tell him result for free.  I know I was feeling nervously sassy that day. 

But there are those who feel  that they have done something wrong in their lives and have been stricken with this disease as a punishment.  They ask themselves this question, “What did I do to deserve this?”  There is a great story in the book of John where Jesus met a blind man who had been blind from birth. When Jesus met this man he healed the man of his blindness, but all around him the crowd was asking what sin had the man committed or did his parents make to cause his blindness.  Jesus turned to his disciples and told them that the man nor his family had done anything wrong.  Jesus told his followers that these things happen to show the power of God that is within each of us through our faith in Jesus.

Life happens my friends and so does cancer. I do not believe that God strikes us with maladies as a
punishment, but I do believe that when the tough times in life happen God is present and when we open our hearts to receive His promised power it is then we truly see  God’s love and tender mercy.

“This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.”
John 9: 3
“God, order up your power; show the mighty power you have used for us before.”
Psalm 68: 28
Take joy in the journey and open your heart to let the power of God inside. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and think pink!  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: