Thursday, March 27, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Thursday! All is well here at 811. The appointment with the oncologist went very well. It was wonderful to see Dr. Adams again. He greeted me with a big hug and that made me feel so much better.  It was really interesting siting in the waiting room of the cancer center. With Casey we always saw Dr. Adams in his hospital room.  I looked around at the people and the thoughts of the battles these people were fighting really had an impact on me. I saw the face of cancer today and those who were the care givers of these folks. I saw faces filled with hope. I saw faces that were tired. I saw faces of care givers standing ready to do whatever it was going to help the one in their care.  Today, while I begin to fight my own battle, through personal prayer the prayers of others and scripture study. I will add the folks  I saw today to my prayers and ask for the blood of Jesus to cover each one of them; healing their disease and giving them hope.

Dear God, you bring such light to my life. Thank you for letting me see the faces of others who battle this disease. I ask that no matter how this disease and the treatment to come affects me that others can look at my face and see your glory and love you. This is a very intimidating disease and I thank you Lord, for remembering your promises. I rest in the hope that with your help I will be healed and restored to wellness. Lord, you are sovereign over all in my life and I offer myself to you as a sacrifice of praise and ask that you use me in this journey to help someone else.  I love you Lord. In Jesus name, amen.

My pastor friend Deb McCann went with Bruce and I to my appointment with Dr. Adams. She was there in support to script all of what Dr. Adams had to say. The information overload is enormous and I knew I would never be able to remember it all. The decision has been left up to me at this time as to how to proceed. Dr. Adams recommends a lumpectomy and radiation.  The radiation will begin about 4 weeks following surgery. I will go five days a week for six weeks.  I will take an anti-hormone pill for at least five years following the surgery.  The bottom line is that the survival rate is the same whether I have a lumpectomy or a radical mastectomy. Unless I hear something different from the surgeon that is what I plan to do. The lymph nodes do not appear to have become affected at this time. More testing is required. If the lymph nodes are affected then chemotherapy will be required. 

Deb said some very profound words to me today. “God knew you had cancer. That is why you need to have an extra interview for ordination.”  I never thought about that. I don’t know about you, but I usually see God’s plan or will in hind sight. Perhaps Deb is right. She is pretty in tune with God. I had come to the edge of the promise of my dream of being an ordained minister and helping others through pastoral care.  The work of preparing for final ordination is rigorous.  Perhaps this disease is something that must be removed so that I can focus on ordination later. I expect to learn a lot in the waiting room at the cancer center. God is with me here and while I am here I am to learn and practice compassion and offer hope to those who need to hear a word of hope. I believe God will be with me each step of the way restoring health and wellness and teaching me to look into the face of those who battle and offer a word of peace.

“The LORD your God will have mercy—he won’t destroy you or desert you. The Lord will remember His promises,”
Deuteronomy 4: 31
Take joy in the journey living in the assurance of the promises of God and receiving His tender mercies. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and thank pink! Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: