Monday, September 23, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

 

Happy Monday!  Family conference was great today. I met with each of his therapists. They tell me of how hard he works, progress  and of his motivation.  He has graduated out of part of his PT. He now goes to the YMCA two days per week for weight training and swimming.  Very cool.  His speech and education therapists both note improvements at a slow but pretty steady pace.  He is working on retaining information from day to day and seems to have greater progress with skills in context than skills in isolation.  Oral reading is a problem due to language issues, but when given a sentence with a word missing and choices offered he is mostly successful in selecting the correct word. These choices are made by Bruce pointing to the word. The knowledge is there. It is just not able to be expressed vocally as yet with accuracy. Given three or four word cards and asked to choose a particular word he can usually choose (points to) the word requested. It is sort of like smoking a brisket…low and slow. He will get there it is just a slow process. I have every confidence in the therapists and in Bruce to master these skills and have full use of his language and speech once again.  God is good and love wins.

 

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD…

Jeremiah 29: 13-14

 

With so many things on the plate of my life my greatest weakness is being distracted. Remembering to seek God in all parts of my life takes sustained effort. God understands the broken places in my life and why I am easily distracted.  According to my meditation tonight God does not expect perfection in a constant desire of God’s presence, but the effort I put into this pleases God. 

 

I guess I am sort of like Bruce in being willing to pour myself into this effort to seek God in all parts of my life.  The promise is that if I seek God with all of my heart then I will find God, “declares the LORD.”  Bruce and I are both on challenging journeys.  But as long as we both continue to focus on the paths we are walking led by the love of God and His desire for us to remain in His Presence then we will be found by God. 

 

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, casting our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

PS  As to the fatigue and the growth hormone issue. I was told to day that this happens almost routinely with stroke patients. The stroke throws the pituitary gland out of whack. We should know by the end of the week whether Bruce needs treatment for this issue or if it has begun to correct itself.  We also found out that he is to do nothing that involves vibrations such a lawn mowing, chain saws, roller coasters, motorcycle riding, jack hammering etc…. The brain is still healing and cannot withstand jarring motions.  Keep praying!  Peace, gc

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: