Thursday, August 29, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Thursday! I had a wonderful lunch and rehearsal with a Brite friend. He is going to accompany me as I sing the opening prayer in my Disciples History class in a couple of weeks. We have been asked to lead prayer once during the semester. Nathan is a wonderful accompanist, a great friend and I am looking forward to offering this prayer in song.

Today after Bruce came home we ran a quick errand. On our way home I had a Gaither Vocal Band CD in the player in the car. I began to sing and Bruce, while not singing the words, added the harmony using vowel sounds. It was so awesome to hear him sing again.  Other than table grace this is the first time I have heard Bruce’s beautiful singing voice.  I almost wanted to drive around some more just to hear more of his voice blended with mine. It made my day.  Music and singing is the most therapeutic thing I do. Singing for me is like breathing and singing with Bruce is something we have done since the day we met. The greatest joys that have occurred in my life have been when Bruce and I sang together and then when we all sang together as a family.  I give thanks that this gift is being restored. I don’t have Bruce with all words back yet, but it was nice for just a few minutes to have Bruce who could still, for a few minutes blend his voice with mine and remind me that hope does not disappoint. God is good and love wins.
Prayer update:  David came through surgery very well. The surgery was to take care of an infected pressure sore.  The good news is that the bone does not appear to have been infected and he should be able to return to his chemptherapy that keeps his cancer in remission.  Also, there is a rehab facility closer to their home so that Carme does not have to travel so far to see him. Giving thanks for God's healing grace continuing to pray for Dave's restored wellness. Thanks, gc

Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it.”

Psalm 37:5

This afternoon I happened to watch a Gaither special that featured Sandi Patti. She has long been one of my favorite singers to listen to and the sing her music. During the special Bill Gaither interviewed her and recalled when he asked her to join the touring group. Her response was, “Let me pray about it. Yes.”  Truthfully, if that same offer was given to me I would give the same response except I might just say, “Yes.”  There are a lot of benefits in talking with God before, during and after we make decisions about our lives. When we invite God into the decisions we make we begin to see our path from God’s perspective. When our thoughts and plans begin to align with the plans God has for us then our relationship with God deepens and we can proceed with confidence.  

Bruce says that when we are really close to reaching the target God has set for us; an accomplishment that we have been striving for with God’s approval and guidance that Satan goes on the attack really hard. It is at that time that we must work collaboratively with God and continue to stay in close communication with God, resting in the assurance that God has not led us astray. God is not the author of confusion and doubt. Then when the task is done give thanks to God for the help and guidance received and rejoice that we have arrived together.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: