Tuesday, August 27, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Tuesday! The most interesting thing happened tonight. Luther, my notorious shoe eating basset was barking really loud and for a long time. Bruce got tired of it and simply said, “Come on boys, let’s go outside.”  It was almost as if when he does not have to think about what he has to say, Bruce speaks a very natural language as if nothing had ever happened. I don’t know what that means, but perhaps when he works in a familiar context such as at home some of the embedded language shows up. He still does not call familiar things by their names such as the items we had for dinner, but as always I look for any longer language patterns and I do not concern myself about the individual words. I will leave those challenges to his speech therapist. Maybe I have really high hopes, but it seems to me that he may be close to a breakthrough in his speech. I am praying each day that his speech will be restored and as full a recovery will occur. God is so very good and love always wins!

“Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.”

Psalm 62: 8

I have begun to put some order to my life. I try not to schedule anything for Monday as it is the day before my classes and I try to schedule anything concerning Bruce on Wednesdays so I have the remainder of the days for study.  Now I know this schedule will not always work out, but I have at least made a plan that works for the time being.

As I continue along this journey of being Bruce’s wife, caregiver and graduate student I am learning to trust God in new ways. This passage of scripture tells me to trust in God at all times. God asks for us to “pour out our hearts in His Presence.”  The primary way I am learning to trust is by coming to God with all things (or at least as many as I can remember). It’s funny how easy that is when your life’s responsibilities have greatly increased!  I can release all of my concerns, share the plans I have made, pray over Bruce, our children,  the paper I am writing and know that I am in a safe place. When I go to God I learn more about God and I am able to love God with a depth and breadth that I have come to treasure. With God I am safe and out of Satan’s reach because God is my refuge.  The refuge I find in God is flooded with eternal, unfailing love that soaks into my soul and brings me peace.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene
 
Prayer alert! Our best friends Carme and Dave Russell are facing a really tough time. Dave is scheduled for surgery on Thursday. He is already taking daily oral maintanance chemotherapy. Given what they find during the surgery could cause the docs to withhold his chemotherapy for an extended period of time. There is always the possibility that cancer could appear and metasticise. Please pray for Dave, Carme and Shaleena during this time. Thanks, gc

 

No comments: