Monday, August 26, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Monday!  My day began with the discovery of my sweet Luther basset having eaten one of my red Brighton sandals.  Not a way to begin the day on a happy note. I realize that in the grand scheme of things this is a small bump. But my Brighton sandals are an extraordinary luxury and because the pair he ate is retired I am unable to replace them. Very sad!

I am hearing some interesting improvement in Bruce. Today he said a number of words that while still somewhat nonsense began with the sounds the correct word begins. We ran an errand and he attempted to ask, “Is Geni coming?” The first two words were perfect and coming began correctly and ended in “ick.” So the question sounded, “Is Geni comick?”  It was so great!  So maybe he will just wake up one day and speak in full understandable language. Who knows? But I am giving a thumbs up and a Team Chrystie for the win!! God is good and love does win!

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day had enough trouble of its own.”

Matthew 6: 34

“MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU, BUT ITS SUFFICIENCY IS FOR ONE DAY AT A TIME.”  It has had to become a discipline for me to take one day at a time. It is so easy for me to slip into thinking about the future. Graduation (Will I make it?) Will there be a job for me when I graduate? Will Bruce be well enough to be able to be by himself or return to work? Will there be enough money to make it…will our house be okay until Bruce can make repairs as they might arise…and the list goes on.  When my mind slips into the future is the place where I find worry lives. Worry is not of God. Worry happens when I think I have to be self-sufficient in taking care of this new life I am leading. What I need to remember is that I need God’s grace to live in the present. My Mamo’s favorite song was the old Christy Lane piece, “One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus.” I sang that song at her funeral at her request. As I think on those words I am reminded that God offers the needed assistance and my part of this collaborative effort is to recognize my neediness and receive what God offers.  This is just like those Hebrews as they crossed the desert. God promised them food for the day.  Anything past that was destined to spoil.  As I think about all I worried about today my day began to spoil and I cratered for just a bit. And then I remembered what God offers. God offers the assurance of Divine Presence, unfailing love and abundant grace for the day. God’s sufficiency is for a day at a time. Today is the day!

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope never disappoints. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: