Thursday, July 25, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Thursday! 

We were told today the extent of the damage the stroke has had on Bruce. Briefly, Bruce is unaware he has a right side. He has lost half of the vision on both eyes which is what causes him to bump into things on the right side of his body. He possibly has some hearing loss, but unable to be assessed until he can better to communicate. His has a balance issue. His receptive as well as his expressive language has been damaged. He is only able to process about 25% to 30% of what is told or asked of him. There are plans being explored for the next phase of this journey. The plans could range from a different facility where he would receive intensive inpatient rehabilitation to intensive outpatient rehabilitation also in a different facility. We have had some ups and downs today, but by God's good grace he is alive, motivated and I think making some progress. It is just slow and will take a long time. I am of the opinion if the case manager at Kindred is recommending further intensive rehab they must believe it will be of benefit and improve chances of better recovery. If he goes in patient he will be there for six weeks. Please pray for all parties involved in this decision making. We want what is best for Bruce. Today he knew it was Thursday and told us that they may release him on Tuesday or Wednesday.  When the language works it is spot on.  The hardest part about leaving him tonight was that he is so ready to come home.

Tonight, the opening line of my devotion is “I AM ABLE TO DO IMMEASUREBLY MORE THAN ALL YOU ASK OR IMAGINE.”  Boy did I ever need to hear that assurance tonight. God is so good and reassures me when I need assurance from the Word. Bruce has already begun to be God’s miracle man in that the MCA Hospital personnel told us he would be in a bed for the rest of his life and one of the docs at Plaza told me he hoped Bruce would not die. God has already worked in Bruce far more that the experts imagined. We have an awesome God. I think I have prayed without ceasing.  I have prayed that the Holy Spirit would be completely involved in the processes to come and that Bruce would be exactly where he needs to be and in the hands and care of the perfect people who will help him to relearn that which has been forgotten.  

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.”

Ephesians 3: 20

When someone asks how I am doing I have begun to answer “My halo’s on straight, but my hair’s on fire!” God understands perfectly everything we are going through and is holding Bruce so very close. God is already so involved even more than we can imagine. God wants us to bring to Him our praises and requests. I know that the power of prayer does not lie in the one who prays, but in the One who hears the prayer. But I believe that God is a collaborative God and fare more capable to do more than we can ask or even imagine. Pray, pray, pray!

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares upon the LORD and get some sleep. God is awake all night and there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: