Monday, July 1, 2013

Blessed Sunday to you all! 

Wonderful worship at Rush Creek this morning. The choir sang Majesty combined with Come Christians, Join to Sing.  Dr. Newell Williams, Pres. of Brite Divinity School, preached a wonderful sermon. His message was  based on the passage from Luke 9 where Jesus is trying to get to Jerusalem through Samaria. They would not let Him through because “He had His face set toward Jerusalem.” (v. 51) Further on in the passage of scripture: “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” (v.62) The cost of discipleship is quite steep. Once we begin following Jesus we cannot stop and we must never turn back. Great 
sermon!

Prayer: God of the day of worship. God of the day of singing praise. God of the table of remembrance. Thank You for being present in our worship, singing, and sharing of the sacred Word and sacrament. Thank You for those who preach Your Word with authority and reverence, and thank You that we get to share this time with friends who love You. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

“The eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.”

Psalm 33: 18

The first sentence in my devotional passage tonight is “MY EYES ARE ON THOSE WHOSE HOPE IS IN My unfailing Love.” To enjoy the abundant life God has planned for us it is vital that we have hope. The key to this hope is to choose well the object of this hope. One of my most favorite songs has a line that says, “When I turn my gaze to people they just let me down.” We cannot put our hope in money, or people, or possessions because they are all temporal. The best choice we can ever make is to fix our hope on the unfailing love of God.  Romans 8 tells us that neither life, nor death, things present, things to come can separate us from this love of God. The sacred Word tells us that those who put their hope in God are those whom God watches over with special care and unfailing love. When it is hard to not place our hope in worldly things then we must persevere in the practice of placing our hope in the One who remains in the midst of our every moment, breath and situation offering perfect, unfailing love.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, cast you care upon God and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for both of you to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.



I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: