Monday, February 11, 2013


Happy Monday! 

WOW! All papers completed and I am now down to reading a chapter in a book on immigration and writing an outline in which to lead a class discussion.  I also went to Curves. It helped to clear my head after writing all afternoon. I am really excited that the workout only takes about 32 minutes.

Prayer: Lord, today has been long, but it has been spent in your presence.  I have sought to find glimpses of You in those I have encountered, in the reading I have done and the words I have written. And even though I am tired I am glad to have spent the day with you. In Jesus name, Amen.

“You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy, at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”
Psalm 16: 11

In my writing today I had to tell how the reading I have been doing is relevant to being an ordained minister and how the concepts presented in the text would inform the ministry to which I have been called.  Many of you know that I believe myself to be called to be a chaplain. I have not been called by God to do anything mysterious or mystically phenomenal like change water into wine, but all ordained pastors have been called by God and the church to claim the same calling as Jesus. 

When Jesus came to Nazareth he went to the synagogue, opened the ancient scroll and began to read, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free.” This is the call of ordination from the pulpit of the synagogue by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  This call does not require any special divine act, but does require the anointing of the Holy Spirit which each of us has received when we entered into a relationship with Jesus. This does not mean that each of us is called into the ordained ministry, but it does say that each of us through the power of the Holy Spirit is called to help those who are in need to remember they are loved and are part of the family of God.

As we approach the season of Lent and Valentine’s Day let us begin to think of ways we can tell God how much we love Him. Let us love God with all our heart, mind, soul, strength and love our neighbors as ourselves. Let us keep our focus on God in places of comfort and in the eyes of those who are fallen and needing the fullness of joy that is in the presence of God.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

Prayer alert: Tomorrow Travis has his big interview with Starbucks for a manager’s position. He has studied and worked really hard preparing for this interview. I ask for prayers of courage, peace and calmness for this wonderful young man. Thank you, peace, gc

No comments: