Monday, January 28, 2013


Happy Monday!

My good friend Matt Every, whom I have been in classes with for much of my Brite career, was affirmed tonight in his final ordination interview for ordination in the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ. Matt has worked really hard and is a wonderful pastor of a small church in Longview. I am not sure what his plans are after graduation in May, but I know he will do a great job because he has a heart for parish ministry and God lives in his heart. Congratulations, Matt! 

I also finished my paper for tomorrow and Bruce is working on it now. It is my plan to turn it in tonight ahead of schedule. Hopefully a redeeming activity…

Good morning, Lord. As I continue this journey, I thank you for all that You have taught me thus far. Thank You for Your patience. I want to know and serve You well. Speak to me through Your Word this week. Give me the courage to face my fears and put Your truths into practice. Open up new doors of opportunity. I don’t want to miss out on anything that You have for me. I am ready to listen, to learn, and to follow You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

“Say to the righteous that it shall be well with them, for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.”
Isaiah 3: 10

Our son Travis is a competitive power lifter.  He works out faithfully each day under the direction of a trainer and sometimes he works out by himself. The point here is that because he faithfully works out daily we can see the results of his workouts. We may not see results immediately, but slowly results become apparent, and, as time goes on results are right before our eyes. Because Travis trains daily, when the time for competition comes, he is prepared. And he is REALLY, REALLY strong. His workouts are hard, but he continues to make an investment in time and work that builds to the desired results. If he only began to train shortly before competition then his muscles and mental attitude would not be ready. If he does not work out we would also see the results of his choice to not work out. His muscles would begin to lose their tone and his strength would be far less than what it is now. 

What is true for power lifters is true for us in spiritual disciplines. When we faithfully invest our time in the spiritual disciplines of service, study in the Word, prayer and worship then not only are we investing ourselves in maintaining a strong spiritual life here on earth but also an investment in eternity.  So we need to keep paying the price even when we do not see immediate results. With each decision, day by day we keep growing the likeness of Jesus.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, give thanks for your blessings and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni, Travis and Sarah.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: