Wednesday, December 26, 2012


Merry Christmas to you all! 

I’m dreaming  of a white Christmas…well, dream no more because this came true and just in time!  My front yard is so pretty. Now driving in from Allen was not fun, but provided a great time to pray! 

We had a family first today.  Ken and Sheena provided the ham and appetizers.  Our family provided the side dishes.  Sheena and I were sitting at the same table and we both figured out at the same moment that no one brought dessert.  So, Ken got out the slice and bake chocolate chip cookies and baked fresh cookies for dessert.  So from now on this one will be remembered as the “slice and bake Christmas.”  No one seemed to mind and a great time was had by all. 

“And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”
Luke 1: 46

I must admit I had some trouble wrapping myself around Christmas this year.  We have experienced such intimate loss this past year.  Each time I would wrap a gift I would remember the gifts I would not wrap.  I did not make the usual phone call to Sheena and ask, “What are getting for Mom this year for Christmas?”  Last year, both families went together and got Mom a Brighton bracelet with a charm for each grandchild, a special one for Holly, the great-grandchild and bookend charms representing Ken and me. She received it Christmas morning in the hospital and never got to wear it.  Sheena and I divided the charms between ourselves each taking the members of our own family and made two bracelets.  I wore mine today.

With the business of school, writing papers, exams, internship responsibilities and preparing for Christmas at our house and at Ken and Sheena’s, shopping and wrapping coupled with the emotional toll of the loss of so many family members this year, I found it really difficult to get into the spirit of Christmas joy I usually experience.  And then I read a Christmas devotional tonight that simply stated the words of Mary, “My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”  The light-bulb went on and I remembered the young woman who carried and birthed the Son of God.  Here she was so very young, not betrothed, carrying a baby, facing public criticism, facing family shame, facing the potential loss of trust in her husband-to-be and possibly her husband. Through all of this she did not complain. She was willing to serve God in this most intimate, life changing and world altering event.  She prayed and gave thanks saying, “My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” 

Perhaps we should take a lesson from Mary and remember that God sent our Savior through this young woman of faith to a manger in Bethlehem.  Jesus is the incarnate One given to us through scripture and will return to us at the appointed time to set all things right.  Let us remember to praise Jesus on Christmas day and the day after that, and the day after that...

Take joy as we journey through the twelve days of Christmas.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings, throw an extra blanket on the bed tonight and get some sleep.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: