Monday, December 24, 2012


Blessed Sunday to you all and happy Christmas Eve, Eve! 

I spent the most wonderful day with my oldest and dearest friend, Carme, Geni, Sarah (Travis’ girlfriend), and 5 other women.  Our hubbies, dad’s etc…(the men in our lives) all went to the Cowboy game today and the ladies had girl day.  We began with coffee at Starbucks (of course), brunch at The Sanford House (which I highly recommend). There were nine of us for the meal. We had our own room, personal wait staff, excellent food (reasonably priced) and wonderful fellowship.  There were seven adult women and two young ladies.  After the meal the dessert menu was presented.  We decided to order one of each of the three desserts for the day and then we would share.  One of the desserts was a dark and white chocolate cup filled with vanilla ice cream and strawberries.  The three plates of dessert were placed at three areas of the table with the chocolate cup being placed in front of the young ladies.  This plate never got passed.  We ended up ordering another of the delicious dessert cups.  After the delightful lunch we were off to the nail shop for mani’s and pedi’s just in time for the holiday.  I chose pretty glittery Christmas red.  A wonderful girl day!

Prayer:  Lord, in the morning it will be Christmas Eve.  Thank you for another day! Please show me something today that will change me.  I will try on this day filled with cooking, last minute wrapping and worship to find a time of quiet and listen for Your voice.  I am available to You whenever and however You desire. In Jesus’ name, Amen

“Beloved, you do faithfully whatever you do for the brethren and for strangers, who have borne witness of your love before the church. If you send them forward on their journey in a manner worthy of God, you will do well.”
2 John 5: 6

In every story told about Jesus there is one constant.  Every person Jesus encountered left a changed person; after their encounter they were never the same.  Even those who rejected the message Jesus had to share still left changed.  My devotion tonight recalls the Roman centurion at the foot of the Cross saying, “Truly this was the Son of God!” (Matt. 27: 54).  This Roman guard charged with the task of making sure the crucifixion proceeded as ordered left that horrible scene a changed man.

So, here is the question.  When people spend time with me do they leave as changed people because Jesus lives in me?  Do I share Christ in some way with those I encounter?  Do I model kindness, respect, love, non-judgment and grace?

A long time ago a couple in a stable in what was a very private moment was greeted by a group of shepherds.  They were not clean or sanitized, but they heard angels sing of the birth of a baby that would change their lives forever.  And Mary and Joseph did not turn them away.  They were allowed to encounter Jesus in the stillness of the dark night by God’s ordaining and were forever changed.

Take joy in this Advent journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com     

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: