Friday, December 14, 2012


It would be difficult to say happy Friday today. 

I have tried to write this entry three times and keep erasing text because nothing makes any sense.  My heart is broken into a million pieces at this senseless loss of precious life.  I have thought of Geni who teaches kindergarten and how is she handling the day and continuing to teach. I have thought what were my last words to Bruce, Geni and Travis today?  Were they “I love you?” I hope so.  Did I take the time to give each of them a hug and feel them hug me back?  Do I remember that? 

When Casey was in the hospital that last weekend if I had known how close he was to death I would have found something better to say than, “You can’t get up because we left your walker at home.”  I wanted to go to Starbucks and the Meadowbrook Elementary and just give them a hug and tell them I loved them.  I pray you will hug those you love a little extra tonight or call them or text them and tell them how much you love them and remember what they say and how it felt when you hugged them.  Give thanks with all your heart. 

Pray for those tonight who had their children this morning, but did not bring them home tonight. Pray for those adults who were so brave and sacrificially gave their lives so that others might live and those who assisted those children to safety. And as difficult as it is to find a prayer for the young man who caused all of this horror and sadness, he is worthy of our prayers because he, too, is God’s child.  I do not think God is even remotely happy with his actions, but God’s love is so great that it spreads even to this tortured young man.  

God is taking care of those babies tonight and it is our task to care for the living. The families of the children and adults who lost their lives today and the family of the young man who caused their deaths are deserving of our prayers. If it is too difficult to pray then just breathe the name of Jesus and He will do the rest for He and His Father know what is in our heart. God knows our anger and sadness and will help us heal just as He will bring healing to those in Sandy Hook.  We are not physically close to this little community, but we can pray and send our love and pray God’s love and tender mercies on this community and our nation. 

Peace, Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God. 

No comments: