Saturday, August 25, 2012


Happy Saturday! 

I graduated from CPE yesterday.  I also passed my final evaluation.  The chaplains at JPS asked me to come back to the hospital on a PRN (as needed) basis.  I felt very flattered, but told them my plate was completely full and that I could not even think about it until at least next summer.  It made me feel good to be asked.

Just in case you did not know, my brother is Dr. Ken Helvey.  He is the superintendent of schools for Allen ISD.  Yes, that Allen ISD with the brand new 60 million dollar high school football stadium. Today he interviewed in Austin for the top superintendent position for the state of Texas.  I cannot imagine anyone better than him.  He is an extraordinary man of honor and integrity and well deserves this honor.  Please offer a prayer for him.  Also, we will be travelling to Allen this coming Friday to attend the first football game in their new stadium.  I think Daddy is getting to be in the fancy suite with all of the dignitaries and we will be sitting in reserved seating.  I am really excited. 

Prayer:  “Father, I thank You that I can live in victory today because You defeated the devil at Calvary and he no longer has authority over my life because I belong to You.  I claim deliverance from anything that would keep me from living in the victory of the Cross.  In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

“But deliver us from the evil one.”
Luke 11: 4c

We live in a world where the enemy is present. Satan works in our lives each day to try and win us away from the loving God; to make God ineffective in our lives.  In this verse, we pray for deliverance from Satan’s grasp and influence in and over our lives.  But when you think about it, Satan really does not stand a chance because he was defeated at the Cross of Calvary.  Satan was a created being and thought he knew everything about God. Satan thought he knew all of God’s plans and actions with the rest of creation.  Because God is unrelenting in His lordship and reigns over the lives of believers even when we sin, Satan is defeated when we ask for forgiveness and stand in the perfect light of God’s love and forgiving grace.  I can only imagine Satan’s total surprise when Jesus rose from the grave.  Satan so thought he had defeated God when Jesus was crucified because he thought his power was a great as his creator, God. Satan did not know everything. How that must have completely hacked him off and continues to drive the evil one completely crazy.

When all is said and done, at God’s appointed time, when He reconciles the world back unto Himself, Satan will be forever cast away from God’s divine Presence and his humiliation will be public, painful and endless.  Somewhere in Satan’s thoughts he knows there is not one thing he can do about it.  Our deliverance has been won by the love of God and the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep, especially all who are going back into the classroom because I know it is hard to sleep the night before school starts.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: