Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Happy Monday! 

I completed the written final evaluation for CPE today.  It has been sent to Bruce for final editing.  It felt really good to finish it.  Back to Brite in the morning!

Prayer:  “Father, I thank You that You are concerned about the needs of my life today, and I trust You to provide me with all that I need to sustain me in the life You have given me to live this day.  In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

“Give us this day our daily bread.”
Luke 11:3

It was leftovers tonight.  I had cooked over the weekend and there were several different leftovers as choices for Bruce and me.  When I think of leftovers I am reminded of a cousin of mine who used to say this of my mother’s wonderful cooking, “Aunt Nita’s leftovers are better than most people’s first times.” 

In the examination of this prayer Jesus tells us to pray for our daily material needs.  We are asked to pray for bread and not dessert (even though there have been some of us who have). Even though I have long said, “Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first!”, Jesus tells us to pray for what will sustain us.  We are also instructed to pray for the needs of today.  Those who were led by Moses across the desert prayed for food(manna) yet were told to only take enough for the day.  God wanted them learn how to depend on Him daily. 

I think it is so amazing that this God of ours who has an entire universe to see to, places at the top of the priority list our daily needs.  The old song “His Eye is on the Sparrow” comes to mind.  If God cares for each sparrow that falls, each star in the sky and knows the number of grains of sand on the beach, how much more does the Creator of all care for His greatest creation: His children? God has shown us His great love by meeting our needs. As Tess (Della Reese) from the show Touched by an Angel told a teenage girl who ordered pie for lunch, “Pie is not food.  Pie is what you eat after food.”  So maybe if we recognize and offer thanks for the bread for the day…sometime later we can have pie.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: