Friday, June 22, 2012


 Happy Thursday! 

Last night I was on-call at Huguley!  I am not exaggerating when I tell you I was tested by fire.  From dinner time on I never got back to the office.  Each of the issues that presented were life and death issues and while making the time during the evening go quickly, each issue was heart wrenching for the families and very serious for the patient.  Trying to assist a family that has lost a loved one is sometimes very difficult and emotionally draining.  As Travis said, “Remember Mom, you signed up for this.”  To say that I arrived home pretty drained is an understatement.  The real test of stamina and energy happens Saturday as I am at JPS form 24 hours between Saturday and Sunday. Please, please, please, pray, pray pray for endurance and focus for me!!!

Prayer: “Father, as I walk through this world and face the burdens of making a living as well as making a life, it seems as if at times the mountain gets higher, the burden gets heavier, and the road gets longer.  I confess that He is the Christ, the Son of the living God.  I face life today knowing that Your Son will guide me and guard me, and because of His presence I will overcome anything life brings to me every day. Amen.”

“Who is He who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?”
1 John 5:5

Yesterday I brought the worship (presented) in chapel for the CPE students and anyone else who came to join us. I spoke on the passage from Matthew 8:23, the story of Jesus and the storm on the sea. Little did I know how prophetic these words were going to be as I ministered to a very distraught family at the death of their loved one.  The passage shows the disciples being frightened and becoming part of the storm in their fear and panic.  The storm really escalated.  The chapel message called each of us to not become part of the storm. If we don’t become part of the storm, the storm will blow itself out.  As chaplains we walk into storms each day and sometimes many times per day. It is our task to not become part of the storm, but to try to be the eye of the storm.  Jesus simply stood and said, “Peace, be still.”  When we become the eye of the storm we are acting on Jesus’ behalf, helping the families to find a place of peace very close by.  Please pray for the chaplains.  We need all the prayers we can get as we minister to people sometimes at the point of their deepest need.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.


No comments: