Monday, June 18, 2012


 Happy Monday! 

Today, Casey would have been 28 years old.  This birthday is a bit different than the others because Sunday was Father’s Day and Casey was born the next day on Monday.  We had Casey’s favorite meal tonight; fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy and green beans.  We were going to have red velvet cake but were unable to locate one so we had a Reece’s peanut butter pie for dessert. (He would have loved that, too.)  The table talk was hilarious and we had a great time.  We sure do miss that boy.  I know the table in heaven is unimaginable to earthly eyes, but I hope God let Casey look down and see his family gathered, enjoying his favorite meal and remembering him with laughter, love and joy.

Prayer alert:  Please put Roberta Dennis and her family on your prayer lists.  We go to church with Roberta.  She lost her young grandson, Nathan, on Sunday at Children’s Medical.  The family is devastated and really needs the loving arms of God to wrap around them and they deal with their broken hearts. 

Prayer:  “My Sovereign Lord in heaven, I come to You saddened at the thought of the times in my life when I rejected You, Your Word, Your will, and Your witness.  My heart breaks when I remember the times that I hid my face from You and the times I did not esteem You or show my word and deed that You are my first love.  Lord, today as I go out into a world that still despises You and rejects You, give me the power and strength to stand for You and speak for You at every opportunity.  Thank You for giving me another day to show my allegiance to You. Amen.”

He is despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.  And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; he was despised, and we did not esteem Him.”
Isaiah 5 3: 3

I heard a story from a military chaplain today.  This chaplain described himself as having failed retirement the first time and so continued on in civilian life as a hospital chaplain and a supervisor of CPE.  He told the story of ministering to the men in foxholes in Vietnam among other avenues.  But today he shared about an incident on the battle field. There was a unit of men on the front line and a young soldier kicked what he thought was a rock, but it was really an IED.  Both of the young man’s legs were blown off.  The chaplain was called to minister to the remaining men in the unit.  These soldiers were so angry that they were walking around cursing God and calling God every name in the book except holy. These curses included the chaplain.  

These men, in their anger and hurt, were seeking God in the situation. The chaplain, in his thinking, thought that he needed to defend God to these men.  In reality, God really did not need defending. His sovereignty is all encompassing so that He is bigger than our anger, our hurt and our frustration. Even though we might reject Him, the life He offers in Jesus is never ending and His love is never failing.  The best news of all is that he will never reject us!

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep ( I am so speaking to myself).  Count your blessings and say your prayers taking special care to pray for Roberta’s family.  Thank you.  Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: