Friday, May 4, 2012


Happy Thursday! 

Another day of writing and I have three sections to go.  I have learned so much.  I have discovered as I have written and researched Psalm 150 that some connections are coming into place.  The big connection I have made is this…If the Bible were to begin with Genesis and end with the Psalm 150, it would be a complete book.  Psalm 150 refers to creation with worshiping God in His sanctuary, in the firmament, and with all creatures having breath to praise the Lord.  Praising God with the trumpet refers to the shofar, the instrument used to sound battle cries of the ancient Hebrews and the tribes to order. The timbrel and dance refers to the nation of Israel at the foot of the mountain of God as Miriam danced. I am going to put this new found inspiration in the final portion of the paper. Thanks for listening.

Prayer: “Lord Jesus, I confess that sometimes in the midst of my pain, I cry out and it seems heaven is silent.  Today I ask for Your wisdom to discern, Your patience to be still, and Your faith to believe that Your delays are not always denials.  I submit my life and all that my day holds for Your glory and my good.  I ask this in the powerful, matchless name of our coming King, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

Psalm 88: 1,2  “O LORD, God of my salvation, I have cried out day and night before You.  Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry.”

Psalms are prayers and hymns.  I have learned that during this semester.  There is one constant for the psalms…even if they seem to be psalms of complaint, lament, deepest sadness and suffering pain - they all end with a doxology.  They all praise God in the final phrase of the prayer.  Even though the Israelites would fall away from God, they always returned with a song of praise. But this psalm speaks of crying and praying in the darkness.  I really do not like the dark and I especially do not like the dark when I am by myself. 

Here is what I know about darkness.  Darkness may hide us, but it will not separate us from God.  Let’s think about God and the darkness.  First, God created the darkness and each of us go through darkness at some time in our lives.  God’s choicest servants go through darkness.  The prophets Moses, Elijah, David…experienced darkness.  Even Jesus while on the Cross asked, “Why?”  Those who have great devotion go through great darkness. 

Next, God’s clearest teachings are spoken in the darkness. “Faith born in the light often grows best in the darkness.”  Just think about the stars.  We see them at their brightest when it is the darkest of nights.  God’s closest fellowship happens in darkness.  We often pray in the silence of the darkness causing us to listen to the voice of God. We do see God but in faith we can trust that God is as close as the mention of His name and as intimate as our very next breath.
Take joy in the journey and get some sleep tonight. Read a psalm.  For the God who created the darkness and light never slumbers nor sleeps and there is no reason for both of us to be awake.  Wear comfortable shoes.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: