Saturday, May 12, 2012


Happy Friday!

I have been asked to read the scripture passages at the Brite Divinity School Hooding Exercises Saturday morning.  I am humbly honored to be a part of this wonderful event.  So like any girl, I got my hair cut, nails done, laid out my clothes and practiced reading the passages because I really do not want to flub during the service tomorrow.  Someday, it will be me being hooded so I am excited to be able to participate in such a special way by reading God’s Word. Please offer up a prayer that I may bring honor to God.  Thank you, friends.

Prayer:  “Father, You show me Your love abundantly.  One of the greatest ways is allowing me to come into Your presence unendingly.  What a joy!  I do not take that for granted.  Thank You for letting me be a part of Your family.  Thank You for so loving me that You would give Your only Son to die for me.  Thank You for placing Your Holy Spirit within my heart.  Because I love You today there will be some who oppose me.  Give me the wisdom to watch and pray all day long.  Amen.”

“Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.”
Luke 6: 12

Jesus was a praying man.  He prayed in large groups, with the Disciples and sometimes He prayed alone.  Jesus was praying at this time because of the rampant opposition He was facing by those who hated Him.  The need for prayer was so great within the life of Jesus that he had to retreat to the solitude of the mountain for His own safely and so He could focus totally on the communion He was having with His Father. 

If Jesus felt the extraordinary need to pray, how much more do we need to pray and take the gift of prayer seriously?  We can meet God anywhere and at anytime.  The passage says, Jesus prayed all night.”  Jesus needed instruction and communication with His heavenly Father to face the days ahead in obedience to His calling from God.  Again, I ask you…if Jesus felt the need to pray through the hours of the night then how much more do we need to pray for what and who we face each day.  There is no reason to face our tough situations and feed to idolatry of self-reliance.  Let us not forfeit our peace and bear needless pain.  Let us do what the old hymn of the church says, “Take it to the Lord in prayer.”

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  God doesn’t sleep so both of you need not stay awake.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: