Saturday, April 14, 2012

Happy Saturday!

Prayer Alert! I am requesting prayer for David and Carmella Russell especially David’s family. David’s mother Jane, is dying. I received a call from Carme earlier this evening with this news. Dave’s Mom has been suffering with Alzheimer’s for a number of years. I will keep you updated.

Also, today I attended the ordination service of a dear friend of mine, Debra Patton; now Pastor Debra Patton. It was such a wonderful service. The pastor who preached her service spoke about those who are called into the service of God. We are all called into God’s service because we are believers in Jesus and are servants of God. But then there are those who are called and set apart for a Holy calling. Even though I was not being ordained the words this pastor spoke were the words I needed to hear as one who is aspiring to become qualified for that holy calling.

The preacher spoke of many aspects of the pastoral calling, but two phrases especially caught my attention. The first one had to do with the education process. Having a pastoral education prepares those who are seeking ordained ministry the knowledge to qualify to be a professional. He said, “You will take Preaching, Old Testament, New Testament and Systematic Theology. But what you must also remember that along with those classes you must practice “kneeology.” Without a doubt!

Second, the preacher spoke about being a “proven vessel.” This vessel must be capable of holding the gospel, living the gospel and preaching the gospel in all of its aspects. I just want to be found a “proven vessel” as I continue to walk this road of seminary and begin to practice the ministry of pastoral care throughout the coming year in CPE and Supervised Ministry. I am sure that a lot of “kneeology” will be practiced throughout the next year. Please practice with me!

Prayer: As I awake this morning, O Lord, I give You praise for another day of life. Thank You, Father, that I can live for You because Your Son, Jesus, died for me! May my life be a living sacrifice for You, and may my actions glorify Your name. Amen.

Romans 8: 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Paul had the experience and authority to speak on matters of flesh and spirit as he was once the religious “Hebrew of the Hebrews.” Paul had been trained to be a strict, religious keeper of the Law. But when Paul experienced the Holy Spirit on the Damascus Road everything changed for him. Paul proclaimed, “If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation.” Paul no longer lived a life driven by the laws of the earth, but lived in the newness of life as given by God through the resurrected Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Paul learned that in order for Christ to live in him, he (Paul) had to empty himself to make room for God to work through him. Paul had always put up a barrier or wall between himself and God until God got his attention on the Damascus Road.

The same is true for each of us. God cannot truly work through us if we do not empty ourselves of our earthly self. Then God can fill us with all of the riches of glory in full measure. When we are receptive God fills us with His very essence; the Holy Spirit. When we are filled with the Holy Spirit then we are attentive. We journey through each day looking for God in wherever we go, whatever we do and whoever we meet.

My prayer for each of us is that we may faithfully serve God and His Church, rising out of our earthly self and allowing the grace, forgiveness, peace, comfort and total assurance of knowing God rises with us on this side of heaven and the other.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Give thanks that Bruce returned home safely. Pray that the storms will pass over us tonight. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: