Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Happy Tuesday!

Today is my Mom’s birthday, so Happy Birthday Mom! She is so great!

Bruce’s first day in cardiac rehab was a success. Warm-up exercises, 35 minutes on the treadmill (all while being electronically monitored) and then cool down exercises. I then joined Bruce for the nutrition class following the exercises. Cardiac rehab seems to be fun and the nurses and technicians strive for the time spent to be fun and group encouragement is really important.

Prayer alert! Test results came back and Daddy needs a heart catheter and, if necessary, some stints. Bruce and I will travel to Sherman on Monday to be with Mom as Dad has his procedure. Thank you for all of your prayers. I will keep you posted.

Also we began Praise Team rehearsal tonight. Addie and Jeremy have chosen beautiful music for us to learn as we prepare to lead the congregation. It was really wonderful to practice again.

Prayer: “Lord, I am chief among sinners. My sin has shamed me and crucified Your Son. For Your grace that has rescued me, I am grateful. For I cry out and praise Your holy name. In light of my rebellious ways, Your grace is astounding. May Your grace permeate my life and set me apart as Yours this day. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

1 Corinthians 1:4 “I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus.”

You know it is hard to mess up when you’ve got good material. A wonderful Episcopal priest friend of mine once shared this phrase with me. God’s Word is so many things. But God’s Word is truth, And God’s Word speaks of His grace. The attitude shared in this passage shows the way to lead a victorious life in Christ. In the Old Testament, one of Jacob’s sons was named Judah. Judah means “Praise.” Judah was a man who lived to praise God. Because he was a praising man he was also a man who was able to prevail. He was able to live freely in Joy because he learned to praise God in all situations.

Grace is God’s unmerited favor. Grace is a gift that none of us deserve. God did not give this gift of grace because we had earned it. He gave us His grace out of His love for us. Many of the converts of the Apostle Paul were still thinking as Old Testament believers and relied on a work-oriented or earned grace because they did not fully understand God’s grace.

They needed grace just as we need grace. God’s grace is found in Jesus. “The law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17) We are not Old Testament believers we are New Testament believers and yet some of us still think we can earn God’s grace. Remember, Grace is the unmerited favor of God through the death of Jesus. Accept this gift with joy and thanksgiving and then go and do something for someone as an act of grace or share how God’s grace has changed your life.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, a hat and drink plenty of water. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Bruce and I will be leaving very early in the morning to meet our nephew at the airport for a couple of hours of layover. Please pray for travel mercy for him as he continues his journey home to North Carolina. gc

No comments: