Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy Monday!

Perhaps Monday before lunch is the best time to walk the mall. It is not very crowded on either level and we were able to walk successfully on both levels today. Tomorrow we go to the consult for cardiac rehab. Bruce is really excited about beginning rehab. I personally think he is beginning to tire of hanging around the house. He is so used to being busy.

Prayer: Lord, Thank you for forgiving me of my sins and drenching me in Your grace. There is nothing I can do apart from You. Without You I am just that “noisy gong or clanging cymbal.” Today, help me to extend to others the grace you have extended to me. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

Ephesians 2:8 “By grace you have been saved through faith, and not yourselves; it is a gift of God.”

Martin Luther broke from the Catholic church on this passage of scripture alone. Look where it got him; and entire denomination named for him not to mention several children!

Martin Luther knew that salvation was a gift from God offered in His grace so that we could receive it by faith. Belonging to the denomination named for this man does not earn salvation. Salvation is not the result of church membership, baptism, keeping the commandments or taking communion. We receive salvation by placing our faith in Jesus Christ and His death on the Cross.

Jesus knew who He was when He stated at the age of 12 that “I must be about My Father’s business.” And then at 33 as he hung on the cross the proclaimed “It is finished.” When Jesus died the Father’s business was finished. The work of salvation was His work and not ours.

We cannot earn our way into heaven. As a fan of Touched by an Angel, I recall an episode where a character walked around with a pad of paper and a pencil writing down and checking off all of the good deeds he was doing. Then he would boast of his “good works.” If good works earned our way into heaven then sin would enter heaven. That sin would be pride. God really hates pride. And as I remember there was one who was kicked out of heaven because of pride.

Since we cannot earn our way into heaven by good works, Jesus, by His act of sacrifice on the cross, cleanses us of our sins and gives us the gift of grace that we receive by believing that He is the only Son of God. Grace is the perfect gift of God that perfects us when we meet Jesus face to face.

Gifts are not earned or worked for they are given out of love by someone who loves us not expecting anything in return. So today, God has given each of us another day of life; a gift wrapped in sunshine and blue skies. Open the package and see what gift God has given you and then share the abundant gift of grace with someone who needs a gift today…for we are now to go about the Father’s business.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, a hat and carry a water bottle. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: