Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy Thursday!

Some records are meant to be broken. We did not get any rain at our house but the lower temperatures were welcome as we ended the over 100 degree run for the record!

We began our day quite early by being at the airport to visit with our nephew who lives in North Carolina. He was on about a three hour layover on his way home from visiting his mother and siblings on the west coast. His was amazed at the 87 degrees that met him when he left the gate to meet us this morning. I think he said something about “How can you stand it?” Compared to 110, 87 degrees was hoodie weather! We are continually amazed at the way he has grown and how he has become a successful woodworking instructor and quite a remarkable amateur photographer. We had a wonderful visit and look forward to the next time we are blessed to visit him again.

Bruce is at the top of his rehab class. In his first week he has mastered and topped out the treadmill and next time he will begin the elliptical machine. I told you he was a champion!

Prayer: “Lord, as I wander through the wilderness of this world, I do so with the Promised land of heaven in mind. May Your grace guide my feet to walk with You, for You, and toward You this day. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen”

Psalm 94: 11 “The Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold form those who walk uprightly.”

Let’s talk about the journey and continue our thoughts on God’s grace. It is God that gives grace and glory. Grace begins our journey with the Lord and that journey ends in the Lord’s glory.

We need God’s grace to enJOY the journey. The Jews knew that they were pilgrims in this world and that they were, due to God’s promise, headed to the Promised Land. A pilgrim is not home, but is heading home. As we journey we have not yet reached heaven, but we can still enJOY fellowship with God by being in fellowship with Christ along the way.

We need God’s grace to endure the journey. It is God’s grace that walks with us through the valleys and up the mountains. It is God’s grace that remains with us during times of deepest despair and sorrow. God is our shield, protector and defender. The longer we walk in this intimate relationship the more we learn to trust and love Him believing that we will not remain in the valley forever but will come out victorious in Jesus’ name.

And finally we need God’s grace to end our journey. When walking a journey we need a light to be our guide. Physically we use the sun in the sky to illuminate our way. As I found out this morning as I drove in the dark to the airport and negotiated the terminals and winding roads, Bruce was the sun. When I began to get off course he was there to redirect me and keep me from landing where I did not need to be. God is our guiding light when the way is dark and the path is unsure. But here is the coolest thing…when we reach heaven we no longer need the light of the sun because we have the light of the Son to illumine our lives forever.

My friends, we walk by faith in this journey we call life. We journey with God through the life of Jesus. It is the gift of grace given by Jesus that we began this journey and it is that same grace by which we journey to the end.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, a hat and maybe carry an umbrella (I know - wishful thinking!). Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: