Saturday, August 13, 2011

Happy Saturday!

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow---praises for the flowing rain that woke us this morning! I woke up to an unfamiliar sound that I thought the air conditioner was draining. Bruce then told me it was “liquid sunshine falling from the sky.” How amazing is our God of creation! We often live by the phrase that God gives us what we need when we need it. Today must have been the day. Thank you, Father.

Prayer: God, when I was drowning in an ocean of sin, Your grace rescued me. When the road to You was too long and winding for me to travel, Your grace came and delivered me. When there is a great chasm between who I am and who I want to be, Your grace bridges the gap. Your grace has made me what I otherwise could not be. I love You and thank You in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

John 1; 16, 17 “Of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.”

As Bruce and I walked through JC Penny’s tonight I heard him humming “Your grace is enough. Your grace is enough. Your grace is enough for me.” In these two verses we learn two things about God’s grace. First, fullness means “being filled; completely and with abundance. This means the all, sum total of the attributes and power of Christ out of His inexhaustible supply of resources. He gives us all we need. I attend a very expensive seminary. I cannot afford it by my own power. I have learned that the more expensive the school the more financial aid is given. It sort of works the same way with God’s grace and our sin. Moses was given the Law to show the nation of Israel the reality of sin and the greater the sin the more grace abounded. And on the cross where all of the sins of the entire world were gathered and the blood sacrifice given, all of God’s demands were met with the fullness of grace that was promised.

Second we learn about the coming of God’s grace. The Law was carved into stone tablets, but grace came to us in the incarnate Son of God, Jesus Christ. Jesus was born of an imperfect family but was born a perfect man. He had to be perfect to walk on the earth and accomplish the godly purpose His Father required. He had to complete the mission on which the Father sent Him so that we, too, would know grace and truth. God gives us what we need when we need it. I don’t know about you, but I cannot inhale my next breath or take my next step or think my next thought without the grace of God.

The passage says that “…we have ALL received…grace” Thank You Father for this extravagant gift that is so large that it covers each of us and is so intimate that we do not have to wait to open the package because it is ours with the tag that reads, this gift is for you my child.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and carry an umbrella! Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and see you in worship. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Bruce and I are leaving for Mom and Dad’s tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. We plan to return on Tuesday. It you don’t hear from me until Tuesday night it is because Mom and Dad do not have internet and they live out in the country. Please pray for Dad’s stents to do the work they need to do! gc

No comments: