Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Monday!

And Happy August! So sorry about not writing last evening. I had a bad case of computer woe. But all seems to be fine tonight.

Carme arrived around 9:30 AM today. She was unable to come during Bruce’s surgery and his time in the hospital. So she is here today and tomorrow. We have had such a wonderful day! She issued the challenge to Bruce that she could lap him at the mall. Not to be out done we all three did two laps around the top level of the mall. We are planning to walk with her in the Walk for the Cure in San Antonio next spring. FYI Two laps around is about a mile and a half. Bruce is doing really great and goes for another one of his blood checks in the morning. They are checking his Coumadin each week for six weeks to make sure all of the levels are matching up. On Wednesday he gets the sutures removed. He is such a champion! Perking right along!! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

Prayer: Gracious Father, I commit this week to Your purpose. Thank You that You hear my prayers and consider my meditations. Even in the midst of uncertainly and anxiety, I will look to You and depend on Your strength. Today, I will walk in Your power and rest in Your promises. Amen”

Psalm 5: 1-3 “Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Give head to the voice of my cry, my King and my God, for so You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.”

King David is often spoken as a “man after God’s own heart.” David was not perfect by any means and did some pretty sinful, egotistical and prideful things. And yet David still relentlessly pursued God. David began each day in prayer. He said to God, “My voice You shall hear in the morning.” It sounds like to me that David was telling God that he would begin each day with Him no matter what. This psalm was written (most likely) during the time when Absalom was rebelling against his father, David. The word meditation literally means “brooding, sorrow or incessant groaning.” So this psalm was written while David was in the midst of great sorrow. David was on the run from his son and directed his thoughts toward God.

Where do we direct our thoughts when we are despairing, anxious, uncertain or frightened? There are so many self-help books, experts in the field, counselors, talk-show hosts, television evangelists or even our friends who will attempt to give us answers or even tell us how to find our way through whatever the trouble is. Where we need to begin is by “having a little talk with Jesus” when we rise in the morning and then keeping the channel open to His Word all day long. Setting aside the time to calm our hearts and focus on Christ for a time each day can make all the difference in how we look at or handle a situation. When we are despairing Satan loves nothing better than to have our eyes turned away from Jesus and onto an “easy fix.” One of my favorite choruses simple says, “Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of the earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.

My friends, God’s glory and grace will outshine whatever despair you are experiencing. We access that glory and grace through prayer. Remember Jesus prays for us to His Father even when we don’t even ask. Just remember when you wake to tell God: “It is morning and I am here. I believe You and love You.”

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and try to stay cool! Count your blessings and say your prayers. Rise with the name of Jesus in the morning and rest in His comfort and peace at night. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: