Saturday, July 23, 2011

Greetings from Austin St.

Happy Friday! Bruce began physical therapy today by walking around the block on the 5th floor. (and quite successfully I might add!) Koumidin was introduced as the drug of choice in those who have received aortic valve replacements. Blood work will need to be done monthly to establish the correct dosage. The pacemaker was turned off today, but not discontinued. The oxygen will most likely be discontinued tomorrow leaving only the central line in place until dismissal. We are prepared for occupational therapy when it begins. I amcontinually amazed at how little pain medication Bruce has asked for. They only give pain meds when he requests them. It must be all of that strength he is receiving through the covering of your prayers! We are aiming for a Monday dismissal. Thank you once again for all of your prayers and will thank you ahead of time for the continuation of the healing process and lifestyle changes.

Please also pray for Geni as she has traveled to Livingston, Texas to participate in the wedding of her first roommate at Stephen F. Austin University. The wedding is tomorrow and she will return on Sunday.
Prayer: “Good morning Lord. Thank You for this moment. I am grateful that I can begin this day giving You praise. I recognize today is unique. I will only have one opportunity to life for You this day. Please help me make the most of it. Help me hear Your voice as I seek to honor You. Amen.”
Psalm 85:6-7 “Oh, come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. For He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, and the sheep of His hand.”

I was in Bruce’s room today watching him sleep. I found myself giving thanks for each breath he took each beat of his heart. It became a moment of worship for me. Giving thanks to the Lord our God and King because He is God and worthy of praise and glory. He is the giver of every good and perfect gift including each breath we take and each beat of our hearts.

I don’t know about you but when it comes to my family I have a fair amount of tunnel version and tend to think only of the one who is in need of the most critical care…and Bruce is number one on my list. Then I began to hear increased activity in the hallway. A couple of doors down evidently something went wrong with one of the patients. There seemed to be an emergency procedure that had to be performed right there in the patient room. I found myself praying for the patient, the physicians and other care givers trying to correct whatever the problem was and the family that cared for the patient.

This experience caused me to think beyond my own situation and just a bit into what God does everyday. Sometimes (especially now) my prayers are one sided, but praise God we do not have a one-sided God who only takes care of a few of us. God takes care of us like a shepherd takes care of His sheep. God has his huge flock of humanity of which He is responsible and loves so much. He knows us and knows us well enough to call us by name. God knows our deepest needs, our joys, our uncertainties and yes, our fears. Just like the hospital, God is a 24/7 God ready to help us when we are in need.

We need to be 24/7 believers. Our faith and belief in God needs to stretch beyond our own needs and desires to include His children. And as we ask God for healing for ourselves and those we love we needs to remember to take a few moments to worship God in reverence as our Maker, Redeemer and Healer, but mostly because God is our God and He loves us so.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and if you come to visit Bruce, bring a sweater. It is cold in his room! Count your blessings and say your prayers. When you pray today take a few moments to worship, pray for others and pray for yourself. Thanks again for the covering in prayer and please do not stop! Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis

No comments: