Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Greetings from Austin St.

Happy Tuesday! I am writing from home tonight as Bruce’s nurse says I need to get some rest because he is really going to need me tomorrow. So if this writing comes out a bit strange or somewhat disjointed it will be out of exhaustion with a short night, a very long day behind me and my editor being somewhat incapacitated!

Thank you to each of you who were in prayer today and accepted my many text messages as we progressed through the day. Your prayers were like a blanket of peace and comfort throughout the day and I know they helped to bring about the healing that is happening in Bruce.

Today's Events:

5:00 AM Stop at Starbucks to pick up a Coffee Traveler. If I have to spend the day waiting in the hospital I am not going to drink hospital coffee. I am drinking the good stuff!
5:15 AM Arrival at the hospital and ushered to the third floor for surgery prep.
5:30 AM Pastor Joel arrives
6:00 AM I am allowed back to see Bruce who is wired for sound and slightly loopy. Prayer with Bruce.
7:00 AM Meeting with the anesthesiologist, Dr. Hildibrandt. Great guy and very reassuring.
7:45 AM Surgical nurse appears and tells us that Dr. Norcross is in the building and things will start very soon.
8:00 AM Final kiss and Bruce is off to the races.
9:00 First update: chest is opened up and things are going well.
9:30 AM Old valve is out and Bruce is doing well.
11:00 AM New valve is in. New valve is removed because it is not seated properly. New valve is replaced and in properly.
12:30 PM Aorta is sewn up and now we wait to make sure there are no leaks or extra bleeding and all is working well.
1:30 PM Closing procedure is beginning.
2:30 PM Bruce is on the way to ICU.
3:30 PM Bruce is placed vin ICU and able to see visitors. Not awake yet.
5:00 PM Episode of aortic fibulation. Medication ordered STAT and the problem was corrected after a while. Oxygen is slowly being lowered in preparation for the removal of the intubation tube.
9:00 PM Report from the nurse is that Bruce is extremely stable and the plan for the tube removal tonight is still in place. Tomorrow he must sit in a chair for an hour three times per day and eat. Please pray for him and the staff as they tell me this is not always a pleasant experience and the patient is a bit grouchy!

Just some quick notes…He is in room #5042 in the Cardiac/Vascular ICU on the 5th floor. He can receive visitors. The only time visitors are not allowed is from 6:00AM—8:00 AM and the same times PM due to the nursing shift changes. I will be there the majority of the day tomorrow. Bruce is most likely still be somewhat sleepy.

Prayer: Our Lord, with hearts full of joy I thank you for Your marvelous blessings showered on Bruce and all those who live him and You today and everyday. In Jesus name. Amen.

Psalm 23:1 “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.”
God is beside us. We are led as sheep to follow in all things through God’s guidance. He is our Guide, Joy and our Friend. For God miracles are an everyday happening. For us miracles are happenings through spiritual forces and we marvel. Today I marveled at simply watching Bruce breathe even if powered by a machine and tomorrow I will marvel even more as I watch him breathe on his own. But the greatest miracle for me today was when he roused ever so briefly and the nurse asked him if he could squeeze my hand. It was a solid squeeze and I rejoiced with tears of joy. Bruce and I have held hands for a little over 30 years and today we held hands one more time. The Shepherd heard the cries of my heart and blessed me one more time.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Squeeze the hand of someone you love today and do not ever forget that moment. Love you all and thank you so very much. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis

No comments: