Friday, May 13, 2011

Happy Thursday!

I believe I have shared with you that Bruce was having some heart valve problems. I went with him to the doctor today. The aortic valve in a healthy human heart opens 2.5 cm. Bruce’s aortic valve opens less than 0.9 cm. We have known that surgery was in his future. After today’s visit surgery is soon. The doc ran a sonogram and an EKG after blood work earlier in the week. The doc began Bruce on nitroglycerine and low dose aspirin along with his other medications. A heart catheterization has been scheduled for Thursday of next week. If any artery blockages are discovered then stents will be inserted. The doctor agreed to ask the surgeon to schedule the aortic valve replacement for June so I can be at home to care for Bruce while he recovers. On behalf of our family we ask your prayers to restore health, bring back into well being and complete healing for Bruce as he walks the road to surgery and recovery.

Prayer: God, I thank You that whoever calls on Your name will be saved. Put people in my path today who are ready to receive You. Enable me to be a faithful witness for You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”

Psalm 105: 1-3 “Oh, give thanks to the Lord. Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples! Sing to Him psalms to Him; talk of all His wondrous works! Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord!”

I really love the Psalms. They always seem to bring comfort to me and lift my heart with joy and bring peaceful assurance when I need it. There is such truth in the psalms and wonderful directions for daily living.

This particular passage of the Psalms instructs us to do six things:
1. Give thanks. Try to give thanks in all things. If we claim that God’s will is working in our lives then we can find a way to be thankful to Him no matter what happens.
2. Call on His name. God is our heavenly Father so we can call Him by His name. Other man-made gods are missing a huge ability of our God. Our God is a God of salvation through Jesus. Salvation comes by no other name except Jesus.
3. Make Him known. We are called to proclaim His name to all of the nations.
4. Sing to Him. (DUH!!) Around here singing to Him is like breathing. For me I do not just sing about Jesus, but I sing to Jesus especially when I am sad or going through a tough time. Singing to God is a form of prayer and worship for me.
5. Talk about Him. Do you enjoy talking about God? I love talking about God and His goodness. I love sharing with others the marvelous things God has done for me and how He has directed and continues to direct my life. I often bring God into my conversations as people ask me what I am going to do when I retire, “God has another place for me to be and another job for me to do.” And then I get to talk about God and how he has worked in my life.
6. Glory in Him. Take time to glory and praise His name. Whatever we do in word or action we need to do for the glory of God. Matthew 5:16 says, “…let your light so shine before men so that people see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”

WOW! That is a lot of recognition in just one verse. Perhaps we cannot accomplish all of these things each day, but maybe we could practice one or two a day until we can put them all into practice each day. Can you imagine how awesome each day we spent would be if we enacted just a couple of these instructions each day. That would really bring joy into the journey because the entire day would be spent in the presence and the spirit of God.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. When you pray remember that God remains with us through the storm (or the party) providing joy and peace in whatever situation we find ourselves. Thank you for your prayers mighty and faithful prayer warriors. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS By writing time tomorrow night we will be a family with a child who is a college graduate. Please continue to pray for Geni as she searches for a place to begin her teaching career. Thanks again, gc

No comments: