Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Monday!

Prayer: “Lord, I do not know what I will face today. Help me to see You in every situation and decision. Lead me to respond to all adversity in faith. Amen.”

Habakkuk 2: 4 “Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by faith.”

This verse in Habakkuk contrasts the proud man with the faithful man. A Christian has humbled himself before Christ, confessed his sin and depends on Christ alone. The proud sees himself as the source of life and a blessing to all he meets.

As we continue on our journey of faith, if we forget to include Christ and recognize His intervention in our lives we exhibit a form of pride (sounds familiar as I was studying!). When we practice an attitude of gratitude we move from pride to faith.

The example the writer of my meditation used tonight really hit home with me. He spoke of a time when his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and how angry he was at possibly losing her after only 29 years of marriage. When he finished being so mad he was humbled before the Father and gave thanks for the 29 years they had together. When he offered up his gratitude his anger was changed into peace about the future.

While Casey was ill and we knew that we would most likely not have a lifetime with him. Then we realized that God had placed in him a lifetime in his 24 years. The kids often expressed that their future children would never know their Uncle Casey and they would never attend his wedding or he, theirs. At that time every thought we had of Casey held the worst sadness any family could ever experience. But now, even though we miss Casey each day when we think of him, it is usually through laughter or a smile and sometimes through tears all at the same time. But here is the thing…we did not then and do not now ask God why because God did not take Casey before he was ready to go. Casey went willingly with arms open wide. We give thanks that God allowed us to have our dear son for 24 years. I realize I have said this before, Casey will not return to us (even though I do ask on occasions for God to just let him peek down), but I believe with full conviction that we will see him again. And when that happens we will see him for all eternity. I think that is what living by faith is all about.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Remember that each of us is dealing with some sort of battle. As for me I am dealing with a mountainous test for tomorrow night. Love you all and I am very thankful for each of you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: