Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy Ash Wednesday!

Prayer: “Lord, help me to live a life of worship and to see You in every circumstance.”

Matthew 17: 20-21 “Jesus said to them, Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain. “Move from here to there,” and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you. However this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

I began the 40 pounds in 40 days diet two days ago. Anyone who has explored this process knows that the first two days are fat loading days. I am on the second fat loading day and right now fasting sounds pretty good! I have followed this plan before and it really does work. I did not lose 40 pounds but I did lose around 20 and was very happy with the results. I would like to lose about 25 more. Here is the thing, if you follow the protocol set out in the weight loss plan, it works. If not, then weight loss does not happen.

People decide to go on a weight loss plan because they decide that losing a few pounds is better than weighing what they currently weigh. And if one decides to follow a prescribed food plan then the person has decided that what they are currently doing is not working and the time is now to try something new.

Let me see if I can make the transition from my diet to my faith - We are not only saved by our faith, but we live by our faith. One of the reasons we decide to follow Christ is because we believe that we are better off with Jesus in our lives and following God than in going our own way. We can better resist temptation because following God is better than living a life of unforgiveness. Living in faith leads us to make wise decisions, receive answers to our prayers.

The mustard seed is such a wonderful example of how just a tiny bit of faith can be multiplied by God’s love and grace. That tiny mustard seed of faith nurtured and tended by God can cause our faith to grow into a lifetime of joy, peace and a lifetime of faith in a God who loves us so much. (I guess it is a good thing mustard greens are a part of the 40 pounds in 40 days food plan!) To accomplish my weight loss goal, I need not only my own personal faith but I need God’s unfailing faithfulness to block temptation. I need to gain strength while becoming healthier and attain my goal while growing in faith in Christ. (Did I succeed in the transition?)

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift up each other in prayer daily remembering that each of us is fighting some sort of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alert: I spoke with Mom this morning and she seemed to be feeling better. Currently they are “pumping” her full of Lasix to see if that will take care of the fluid retention problem. Please continue to pray for her to be restored to health and well-being. Peace, gc

No comments: