Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy Thursday!

Philippians 2: 1, 2 “If there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.”

Each night when I close my writing I tell all of you I love you and encourage you to continue to lift one another in prayer each day. Tonight I ask you to lift up in prayer for David Russell and his wife Carme Russell. They are our oldest and closest friends. We chartered a Sunday School class with them in the early days of our marriage. We have gained and lost weight together, had and each lost a child. They were Casey’s god parents and are now Travis’ god parents. Carme was diagnosed with breast cancer within the last two years and is a survivor of that cancer.

Today Dave was diagnosed with kidney cancer in the form of a renal cell carcinoma. The current plan is to remove the kidney. The good news is that the remaining kidney is good shape. Praise God! And the cancer seems to have localized as opposed to spreading. This affords David to not have chemotherapy and radiation following surgery. Again, Praise God! Please continue to pray for Dave’s healing and for strength in all that they face in the coming weeks as they wait on a surgery date. As I find out more information I will keep you posted.

As Christian believers we are called to be of one account and like mindedness because we are all children of God and brothers and sisters to Christ. We are called to love one another showing mercy, affection and love and offering comfort to those in need. Sometimes it is difficult to show these qualities to those we do not know or ones we do not like. As believers we ask God as did Moses to “Show me Your way.” We want to know the way of God, God’s love, God’s power, God’s compassion and His Word.

One of the ways I need to grow in this ministry to which I have been called is to look beyond the needs, hurts, pain and wounds in my own life and experiences and to understand the needs of the world beyond my own backyard. This causes me to realize that this life is not about me, but about the ways God can work through me and others to show His heart, His mind and His will to others.

In order for this to happen I must ask God to reveal to me anything that needs to be “weeded out” of my own life that keeps me from following whatever God has planned in my service to Him. I must not only look to see the best in people, but to be one who weeps for those who are hurting and helps them to know they are not alone. How about you…?

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and two pairs of warm socks. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift one another up in prayer each day. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: