Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy Monday and b-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r! Baby it’s cold outside!

1 Timothy 6:17-18 “Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, not to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share.”

Well, another day has come and gone and the Publisher’s Clearing House truck has not made an appearance at 811 Austin St. And even though I really don’t expect it too, it is fun to fill out the emails that come to me several times a week because you never know…

And even though it would really be nice to not have to worry about money, especially with attending a Lutheran Seminary in our future, I know that these types of riches are temporal. But the riches Jesus gives us are eternal and everlasting. When we come into relationship with Jesus we are every spiritual blessing heaven can afford in Christ.

Tonight’s meditation teaches that provisions for our daily necessities are part of the blessing and “not just for our enjoyment, but for our employment.” God has given us these heavenly blessings out of His love for us so that we might bless others. This is what that scripture about laying up treasures for ourselves in heaven (Matthew 6: 20) is all about. Any earthly treasure we have is staying here, (even though I have an uncle who will give it his best shot!), but the blessings we share with others and the Christ we model for others are treasures that are already before the Father. Martin Luther said, “I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God’s hand, that I still possess.”

So friends, it is just after Christmas and if you are like us money is a bit scarce, but the blessings of God through Jesus are still being shared in abundance. So if you have earthly riches use them to bless others and it you have riches of the kingdom then use them to share Christ with someone. Show love to someone who is hard to love, forgive someone who has wronged you, affirm someone who is feeling defeated and let them know of God’s love for them.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and extra socks. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift one another up in prayer each day. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alert! A young lady named Stephanie (teenager) was kicked in the abdomen during a soccer game rupturing her spleen. As of today she was in the intensive care unit. Emergency surgery was performed. Please pray for this young lady and her family to have courage and gather their strength from the expertise of the doctors and surgeons while placing their trust in the Master Healer and Greet Physician. Peace, gc

No comments: