Friday, January 7, 2011

Happy Friday!

Today was a day of laughter and tears as we buried our dear friend, mentor and teacher, Duane D. Gohlke. The service was brief but very powerful with not only the accomplishments of this phenomenal man, but the phenomenal accomplishments of Christ through him and his beloved wife, Bobbie Gohlke.

The family was led into the sanctuary by a bagpipe player playing Amazing Grace. But the most profound moment came at the end of the service. The organist played four pitches from the piano and then members of the congregation, as his former students, were invited to sing The Lord Bless You and Keep You. We ended each concert with this timeless classic. I am not sure who sang the first note but before long, sounds like I have never heard before were echoing inside the sanctuary of the First Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas, as if the heavens opened up and the angels were giving us a glimpse of what it will be like some day. The sound was nothing short of heavenly and it was as if Mr. Gohlke was standing in front us directing us one last time. It was without a doubt, a holy moment. I am sure we did Mr. Gohlke proud.

You know when you are going to see people you haven’t seen for years how you want to go looking your best? So you lose weight, plan your stories and plan what to wear so you are at your very best for those few short moments when you see long lost friends. You want them to see you as smart, successful, fit and healthy. With a reunion you have time to plan and prepare. With a funeral there is no time to plan. You cannot lose 40 pounds in three days, de-wrinkle your face, become successful and get all of the wrongs righted in 72 hours. Priorities change. In an instant, it isn't so important to change to fit what you think other people want to see. I guess what I am trying to say is you just never know what or when something is going to happen.

So my friends, call someone you haven’t seen in a while, visit an old friend or a relative, send a card, find them on Facebook (but don’t look for me because I am not on Facebook) and reconnect. It was wonderful to see friends today I have not seen since high school (a number of years ago!) Tell them you love them.

And finally, get right with God now. Scripture tells us that we will never know the time or place of His coming. And we will not know the time or place of our leaving. God is so good and He loves us so much. God sent Jesus so we could know Him, love Him and learn to love like Him. Do we need a reunion with Him?

We can all learn a wonderful lesson from Mr. Gohlke: to die is to live with Christ, to live on earth is to be a blessing to others. His life could be summed up in this brief sentence. Let each of us be a blessing to others until it is time to live with Christ.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us lift one another up in prayer each day. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: